Quiz bowl buzzes new coaches

Courtesy Photo/ Katie Johnson

The quiz bowl team during a competition in 2015.

A batch of new players and coaches strive to make their mark in the upcoming quiz bowl season.

“I think we’re going to get a good crowd this year; there seems to be quite a bit of interest,” coach Carol Dimovski said. “I think we’ll carry on the tradition of having a really good team, doing well in the MAC and maybe going to States; so that’s something that sounds exciting.”

Dimovski and fellow coach Gregory Diggs took over this year, because former coach Glenn Kolbicz no longer teaches in the building.

“[Coaching] is something I’ve been interested in for a long time, because both of my sons did quiz bowl in their high school,” Dimovski said. “For years, I’d go and I’d watch their matches and I just thought it was something really cool. It’s fun, but it’s also educational.”

Seniors Connor Cummins and Adam Misch are the only returning members. Cummins joined quiz bowl during his sophomore year because of his appreciation of Jeopardy, and stuck with it up to senior year.

“[I’m looking forward to] the team. I really don’t know what it’s going to be like, because, in the past, it was all the same people,” Cummins said.  “This year, it’s completely new. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.”

There were approximately 10 students at the introductory meeting. Those interested can attend Monday practices after school; The first session is Sept. 19, in room 641. Practices consist of asking questions that may show up at competitions, following a certain style.

“I would tell [students] to come and try it out,” Dimovski said. “You don’t have to be the 4.0 student to like quiz bowl. If you enjoy trivia, if you want to learn, then it’s for you.”