Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Incoming senior president Michael Smolenski wants to fight for
the privilege to paint senior parking spots. On the left, the school
doesn’t permit painted parking lots, unlike Romeo, on the right.
Opinion
Permit painted parking

Introducing the experience of painting parking spots to seniors helps express creativity in the school parking lot. Traditions have lasting...

Based on data from Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), there is a significant decrease in student count over the past 10 years. From 2018-19 to 2023-24, most of the impact occurred and is predicted to continue, according to CEPI.
News
Numbers decline

Amidst a gradual decline in enrollment numbers, the school emerges as a school of choice option for the upcoming year. “They’re [incoming...

Go bananas
An ideal on the go breakfast for fast-paced mornings.
Health
Peanut Banana Toast

Cook Time: 5 mins Total Time: 5 mins Ingredients: 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted 1 tablespoon peanut butter 1...

Summer in a glass
cool down in the hot weather with this fruity drink.
Health
Silky strawberry smoothie

Cook time: 5 minutes Total time: 5 minutes  Ingredients: 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries ¾ cup low-fat milk or unsweetened nondairy...

Crunch Time
Put those leftover apples to use and make an easy and tart snack.
Health
Amazing apple crisps

Cook Time: 10 minutes  Total Time: less than 20 minutes’   Ingredients: 4 apples 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 tablespoons...

The Varsity hockey team takes their team photo. As their season comes to an end David Erwin transitions over as the head coach.
Feature
Coaching changes

With 16 coaching seasons under his belt, previous assistant Varsity hockey coach David Erwin takes on the head coaching position. “Bob Hall...

On your mark, get set, go. Ready to race LCCE students including sophomore Vladimir Doroslovac prepare to take on the 200-meter race.
Sports
Ready, set, go

In a race to win LCCE students took on the Special Olympics on Wednesday, May 8 at Macomb Community College.  “I think it's important to...

A&E
Cannon roll callback

Rebooting an old classic, “The Fall Guy” tries to live up to its roots. “The Fall Guy” is a reboot of an old T.V. series...

Colleen Hoover’s romantic-thriller “Verity” captivates and terrifies readers. It sold more than two million copies.
A&E
Vicious verities

Walking to work, protagonist Lowen Ashleigh hears a man’s skull “pop like a champagne bottle” after getting hit by a car. Quite the opening...

Ostrander bumps up leaderboards

Sophomore Kayla Ostrander starts her high school volleyball career off with high statistics
Ella Aniel
MINE! Prepared for impact, sophomore varsity volleyball player and libero Kayla Ostrander [pictured on the right] has her arms out in a bump position ready to receive. Ostrander and her teammates lost their home game against Marysville high school. “She’s always next to me on the court when I need her for support,” sophomore varsity volleyball player Gina Fedrigo said.

Climbing up the ranks, sophomore varsity volleyball player Kayla Ostrander leads with 409 digs, 35 aces, 34 assists and 1st in the state for digs.

“I’m pretty confident when I’m out there playing,” Ostrander said. “I know what I’m doing because I’ve been doing this for a while.”

Ostrander began playing volleyball at six years old, following in her older sister’s footsteps. When she began playing club volleyball; she was inspired by her old club volleyball coach to play better.

“My old club coach [Jess Mruzik] inspired me to be better and helped me focus on the positive things when I feel mentally down,” she said. “She gives great feedback and she was a really good player.”

As this is her first year on varsity volleyball, she’s a force to be reckoned with. Alongside her school volleyball career, Ostrander plays club volleyball. Her club volleyball team, Legacy Volleyball Club, previously placed first in the country. Ostrander’s teammates gain her trust.

“It feels really good to play with someone I trust on the court,” sophomore varsity volleyball player Gina Fedrigo said. “She’s very competitive and she always pushes people to do their best all of the time.”

With her competitiveness, Ostrander plans on attending Michigan State University to play as a libero. 

“I try not to feel stressed. I tell myself I know I can finish all of my work,“ she said. “I try to finish all of my work whenever I get it or I do it while traveling in a car or plane [while playing volleyball].”

Finishing her work is one of the things Ostrander is stressed about. She also needs to balance friends, school and two different volleyball teams. Ostrander still stays on top of her schedule.

“My coaches push me to be better because they know I can pursue good things in the future,” Ostrander said. “Making it onto my club team was my most valuable achievement.”