Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Health
Baked Kale chips

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Ingredients: Kale olive oil 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt ...

Health
Banana Chocolate Chip Bites

Prep Time: Under 30 minutes Ingredients: 1 cup dry oat 1/4 cup almond butter 1/4 honey 1 banana 1/2 chocolate hip Instructions: ...

Enjoy the sweet sidekick of the cinnamon glaze on your popcorn. Relatively simple to make and fun to snack on.
Health
Cinnamon Glazed popcorn mix

Prep time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 13 minutes Total Time: 18 minutes Ingredients:  4 cups of popcorn kernels 3/4 cup of cashews ...

Uncategorized
Spring break: friends and sunshine

On the streets of New York City alumna Aleaha Smith holds up one of Atrias newest books, Some of My Best Friends. Atria published the book Tuesday, February 27.
Feature
Passions and Publishing

She chased her publishing dreams to New York City, collaborates with New York Times bestselling authors and works as a marketing assistant at...

Nothing but strikes. After hours of practice, junior Dylan Harnden becomes the state’s top bowler. Next year, he hopes to do as well as he did last season and continue to improve.
Sports
One pin at a time

Five years of bowling pays off with hours of practice and dedication to earn the title of Michigan’s top bowler. “I first went out with...

The Kiwanis board meets in participation for the pitch competition. “What prompted me to join Utica Shelby Kiwanis Club was the members geniune passion for helping others’’ event coordinator Mark Alexander said.
News
Passionate pitches

With ten thousand dollars on the line, three groups of students compete in the Kiwanis Pitch Competition on March 23. “The competition can...

On media day, Macomb United skaters from Eisenhower High School take their photo. After three preliminary team competitions, skaters from Macomb United High School’s team B and C figure skating qualified for states. It’s just good to see them (skaters) get out of their comfort zone too because a lot of kids are not confident with getting in front of judges and getting on the ice on their own. So actually seeing them do that when there’s more pressure (or) when they might be more anxious is very rewarding because they’re growing up as skaters and as human beings,” Suburban Macomb and Rochester Ice Center figure skating coach Devin Prasatek said.
Sports
Twizzling through states

Hours of jumping, falling, spinning, stretching and moving on or off the ice pays off sending Macomb United through states. “I think the...

Sporty dancers. Over the years, the debate over dance being a sport has always been split down the middle. In reality, most sports will never possess the athletic abilities of a dancer.
Opinion
Dance Debate

The act of dancing is an artistic way to express emotion, but competitive dance brings on a form of athleticism that can be described as nothing...

Ostrander bumps up leaderboards

Sophomore Kayla Ostrander starts her high school volleyball career off with high statistics
Ella Aniel
MINE! Prepared for impact, sophomore varsity volleyball player and libero Kayla Ostrander [pictured on the right] has her arms out in a bump position ready to receive. Ostrander and her teammates lost their home game against Marysville high school. “She’s always next to me on the court when I need her for support,” sophomore varsity volleyball player Gina Fedrigo said.

Climbing up the ranks, sophomore varsity volleyball player Kayla Ostrander leads with 409 digs, 35 aces, 34 assists and 1st in the state for digs.

“I’m pretty confident when I’m out there playing,” Ostrander said. “I know what I’m doing because I’ve been doing this for a while.”

Ostrander began playing volleyball at six years old, following in her older sister’s footsteps. When she began playing club volleyball; she was inspired by her old club volleyball coach to play better.

“My old club coach [Jess Mruzik] inspired me to be better and helped me focus on the positive things when I feel mentally down,” she said. “She gives great feedback and she was a really good player.”

As this is her first year on varsity volleyball, she’s a force to be reckoned with. Alongside her school volleyball career, Ostrander plays club volleyball. Her club volleyball team, Legacy Volleyball Club, previously placed first in the country. Ostrander’s teammates gain her trust.

“It feels really good to play with someone I trust on the court,” sophomore varsity volleyball player Gina Fedrigo said. “She’s very competitive and she always pushes people to do their best all of the time.”

With her competitiveness, Ostrander plans on attending Michigan State University to play as a libero. 

“I try not to feel stressed. I tell myself I know I can finish all of my work,“ she said. “I try to finish all of my work whenever I get it or I do it while traveling in a car or plane [while playing volleyball].”

Finishing her work is one of the things Ostrander is stressed about. She also needs to balance friends, school and two different volleyball teams. Ostrander still stays on top of her schedule.

“My coaches push me to be better because they know I can pursue good things in the future,” Ostrander said. “Making it onto my club team was my most valuable achievement.”