Science olympiad team goes to states

The Science Olympiad team had their states on Fri. April 29 and Sat. April 30 at Michigan State University.

“Personally, I did okay,” said sophomore Madeline Anthony. “The team as a whole only got a couple of metals, which is pretty good.”

Only fifteen students are allowed to participate in a competition at one time. Every year, the team competes in three tournaments: invitationals, regionals and states. Event supervisors are at regionals and states observing the students while they take the test to make sure they are following all of the guidelines.

“We didn’t take invitationals very seriously because it’s not seen as a big competition, but more as a practice,” Anthony said.

At invitationals, the test is actually written by parents, which is harder for them, according to Anthony. However, the team takes college level tests at regionals and states.

“For regionals, everyone got a metal, which is good,” Anthony said. “Our rival is Stevenson and this was the first year we came close to beating them. We came in second by four points.”

If qualified for the events, it’s mandatory for competitors to attend all meetings and tournaments. The Science Olympiad team has no limitation on how many students can join.

“The tests can get pretty hard, but if we all work hard enough, we usually do alright,” said Anthony.