The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Big projects earn bigger achievements

Two senior Boy Scouts help shape the community
Boy+Scouts+work+to+achieve+the+Eagle+Scout+rank+by+creating+projects.+These+projects+are+meant+to+benefit+the+community+and+are+completely+self-funded.+
Canva
Boy Scouts work to achieve the Eagle Scout rank by creating projects. These projects are meant to benefit the community and are completely self-funded.

Flying up the ranks, Eagle Scouts are awarded the highest rank for their leadership and service.

“I am disappointed that I can’t continue the great journey that I had, but it gives my life some closure,’’ senior Dominik Muzyk said.

Earning the Eagle Scout rank is an achievement that recognizes a scout’s hard work and dedication. To earn this rank scouts are required to create self-funded projects that contribute to the community, scouts also are obligated to have a certain amount of merit badges.

“Earning the Eagle Scout rank is a journey that not only benefits us, but it also benefits the community,’’ Kyle Dawson said. 

The goal of Eagle Scouts Dawson, Muzyk and senior Dylan Mckenna’s projects impacted lives in the community. This badge of honor not only demonstrates a scout’s commandment to service and leadership but also provides valuable experiences that can be applied throughout life.

“It was hard to start the ideas to help but then once we did it was all worth it,’’ Muzyk said.

Muzyk’s Project consisted of a storage table he designed for the marching band student’s classroom and Dawson’s Scout project raised $15,000 for the Humane Society where he set out to sell dog blankets around the community. Mckenna contributed to his rank by building a turtle enclosure for the Shadbush Nature Center where he had to record his time and money spent when building it. 

“I started the project last spring and didn’t finish the build until October. I was officially awarded the rank on Jan. 15,” Mckenna said.

“Earning this position made me think of how this paid off,’’ senior Kyle Dawson said.

The Eagle Scout ranking benefits him for work opportunities now and in the future, according to Dawson.

“I’m disappointed that I can’t continue (Boy Scouts), it was a great journey.” Dawson said. “At the end of the day this is to give back to the community and to give back to earth.”