The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

One pillowcase at a time

Fashion club members sew 20 pillowcases for children’s hospitals
Ike Fashion Club
Sewing is caring. Junior Shelby Mcneil and senior Abby Nezich use the sewing machines to make pillowcases. Members picked out fabrics of their choice and donated the pillowcases towards Children’s Hospitals. “It was really rewarding donating to the children; it made me feel good,” Mcneil said.

Sewing, threading and communicating were the skills Fashion club contributed to the community by donating 20 pillowcases to local children’s hospitals.

“I feel very proud of not only creating the pillowcases for the children but also, the students who created the pillowcases,” senior Fashion Club President Milena Dharte said.

Members of the Fashion club gathered multiple times in room 311, sponsored by Jennifer Ramirez, and used fabrics of their choice to make the pillowcases.

“Me and Mrs. Ramirez came up with the idea. We got about 72 yards of fabric at Joann Fabrics,” Dharte said.” The goal was to create over 20 by the end of the 1st semester.”

To make these pillowcases many members had to develop the skill of sewing and using the sewing machines properly.

“Sewing is a unique skill that takes practice,” Dharte said. “So, seeing them create these [pillowcases] also makes me very proud.”

And after meeting together multiple times, pillowcases weren’t the only things being created. Bonds between the members of the Fashion club were also forming.

“I think the event brought the members together because they were all learning together on the same project,” Dharte said. “This was a big learning experience with almost all of them not knowing how to sew or where to begin, so having each other built the bond.”

One of the many members contributing to that bond was junior Shelby Mcneil.

“My role was to sew the pillowcases and help other people,” Mcneil said. “Teaching them what I already know.”

Overall, the pillowcases were a success and accomplished a club goal.

“I love to do good deeds, so I knew when creating Fashion Club I wanted to do some sort of community project,” Dharte said. “And am so glad that we landed on the Children’s Hospital pillowcases project.”