The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Passionate pitches

Kiwanis focuses on young entrepreneurship to make a difference in communities
Noor Almohammadi
The Kiwanis board meets in participation for the pitch competition. “What prompted me to join Utica Shelby Kiwanis Club was the members’ geniune passion for helping others’’ event coordinator Mark Alexander said.

With ten thousand dollars on the line, three groups of students compete in the Kiwanis Pitch Competition on March 23.

“The competition can be best described as rejuvenating, and our youth do not realize how truly talented they are,’’ event coordinator Mark Alexander said.

Kiwanis, a club dedicated to serving their communities, focuses on young entrepreneurs to share their ideas and partner up with local businesses to help people in need.

“My favorite part is we get to help a bunch of kids in the community,” junior Katherine Farmer said.

Farmer and junior Ava Nightingale teamed up with Blessing in a Backpack which provides backpacks with food for kids. Their pitch is to launch a pilot program that adds food options for kids with allergies, for example, almond butter for those allergic to peanut butter. 

“I have food allergies, it’s something that’s close to me. So, it was like, maybe I can tie this in,” Farmer said.

The sponsors that helped pay for the prize money, include Piston Group, Allied Insurance, Zausmer P.C, Trinitas Advisors and Copa Al.

“Not only does our club have amazing members, but we have an amazing partnership,’’ Alexander said.

Alexander’s belief that today’s kids are more adaptive and innovative, inspired Alexander to start this competition.

“Imagine what would happen if you taught these same youths to cultivate that talent to now build industry changing businesses that could positively change the world? That thought alone gives me hope for a brighter and more enjoyable future,’’ Alexander said.

Students who fill out an application have a chance at winning a $10,000 prize. Second place wins 5,000 and third place wins 2,500.

“When I speak with high school students, I like to ask the question, ‘if there was $10,000 dollars on the table right now would you take it’?’’ Alexander said. “The question is always met with a roaring yes.”