The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Make it rain scholarships

Create more opportunities by applying for scholarships
Scholarship success. 85 percent of students apply for financial aid each year according to the National Center for Education Statistics. In the past there weren’t as many available scholarships, but now scholarship opportunities have opened up left and right.

Though going off to college is a new chapter in a teenager’s life, the costs of this new step bring out all of the stresses that come along.

Numerous high schoolers apply for financial aid to help cover a portion of the costs when going to a university or college. However, many students are denied aid due to their parent’s income or not meeting certain academic requirements. 

“Michigan’s public higher education institutions have seen decades of decline in per-student funding, leaving students to face costs that are simply out of reach,” according to tcf.org.

A highly recommended alternative to combat this obstacle is applying for scholarships. 

“It’s important to apply for scholarships in any case because colleges get even more and more expensive. So even if your parents either make a lot of money and feel like they could just pay for it out of pocket or have been saving for you since you were born, essentially, college is more expensive. There are always incidental and incidental costs,” counselor Brienn Frederick said.

Tuition costs increase every year, according to Frederick. This creates a roadblock when high schoolers plan ahead for college taking into account tuition as well as purchasing books and materials. Everything adds up.

Prices of schools also go up if a student is from out of state. The University of Florida costs $21,811 for instate students, however for out of state students the price peaks at $44,089, according to the US Dept of Education. For Michigan teens who plan on going to another state for school, this makes sure kids will be drowning in debt. 

“It’s really tough to start your adult professional life with a bunch of debt that will follow you into your 30’s or even 40’s,” Frederick said. 

Scholarships have increased throughout the years, aiming to help kids in need of college funding. Categories range in applicant requirements such as calling for someone with blue eyes or to be a woman. With more options available for scholarships, not only are they more accessible, but they are also more inclusive. 

“I think there are about five [scholarship applicants] that are coming through me this year. I actually haven’t seen that many applicants yet, I would encourage everyone to look at local scholarships that are not high dollar amounts and that helps, every little bit helps.” Frederick said.

In Schoology, under groups, there is a folder for each graduating class where Frederick posts different scholarships pertaining to different people. There is also a list on Principal Brandon Manzella’s newsletter. Whether it be local or national, applying is never a bad idea especially when there is copious amounts of money on the line. Every little bit counts toward paying off tuition. 

“Don’t disregard a scholarship just because it’s only $500 or $1,000 and you’re like ‘my school’s $30,000 a year, who cares? That’s not worth the effort’,” said Frederick. “It’s all worth the effort.”