The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Pop those tunes

The choir’s preparation for the Vocal Pops Concert
Singing their hearts out. Choir is preparing for the annual Vocal Pops Concert happening on Jan. 30. Students bring their creative ideas to make this show happen.

Choir students belt out their creative musical talents into their auditions for a spot in the Vocal Pops Concert.

“This concert takes very little preparation from me,” Choir teacher Julia Holt said. “It is all about the students.”

The Vocal Pops concert is a chance for students to choose their own songs which can include solos, duets, trios or other small groups. When their audition is ready, they perform it during class. Only about 10 students get picked. After hours of practicing, parents and friends are welcome to attend the concert.

“I am not sure when it started,” Holt said. “But I know that it has been happening since I went to school here in the late nineties.”

The concert will be happening on Tuesday, Jan. 30 in the Performance Arts Center. For the audition, senior Ella Skope will be singing a solo. Skope will be auditioning with the song Creep by Radiohead and has been in the concert in the previous years. This will be her third year auditioning. 

“One of the previous year’s my mic wasn’t turned on,” Skope said. “So, I hope that doesn’t happen again and that everything runs smoothly.”

Auditions aren’t for another week, so the lineup is not ready yet. The style of music is usually within the realm of pop. The students sing karaoke tracks but can also sing with musical instruments like the piano, guitar, or ukulele. Participants are allowed to ask friends to play instruments for them while they perform their songs. 

“All of the musical numbers are prepared by the students, and they also help sell tickets, run the ticket booth, manage backstage, run the sound and light boards, and take pictures and videos of the show,” Holt said. “It is a very student-centered event.”