19th annual multilingual soccer tournament

(from left to right) Last years Spanish team champions including junior Michael Bucholtz, sophomore Zach, junior Vincent Gacalone, Guiseppe Vitale and Bella Ancevski pose with the trophy. “I always get really excited for the end of the year soccer tournament; it’s something we can do before the stress of exam week,” junior Bella Ancevski said.
They said they plan on playing in the game next year and win back the trophy.

(from left to right) Last year’s Spanish team champions including junior Michael Bucholtz, sophomore Zach, junior Vincent Gacalone, Guiseppe Vitale and Bella Ancevski pose with the trophy. “I always get really excited for the end of the year soccer tournament; it’s something we can do before the stress of exam week,” junior Bella Ancevski said. They said they plan on playing in the game next year and win back the trophy.

The 19th annual bilingual soccer tournament took place on June 3rd.

“I always get really excited for the end of the year soccer tournament; it’s something we can do before the stress of exam week,” junior Bella Ancevski said.

Spanish, French and German students involved in their language clubs took to the field to play against each other on the Malow Junior High soccer field at 2:30 p.m.

Playful smack talk occurred throughout the day beforehand, according to spanish teacher Monica Klesko. Klesko, last year’s champion, sent pictures of her third hour students holding the trophy and emailed it to teachers like German teacher Rebecca Petrilli.

“I think it was fun to taunt the other language classes before the game,” Ancevski said. “It gets everyone pumped up and competitive.”

With ten minutes of the game to go, sophomore Zach Matovski, on the Spanish team, scored his team’s 4th goal trying to rally up. but couldn’t manage to tie for overtime. In his ninteenth year refereeing this soccer game, history teacher Henry Rehn blew the final wistle to end the game at a score of 5 – 4. The mixed team of German and French students who called themselves “Germech”, took the first place trophy back with them.

“I was sad we didn’t win,” junior Vincent Gacalone said. “But it’s always fun to play against friends and let a competitive side come out.”