The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Light up the streets

Trying something new, senior Kyle Mecum lights up his car for Christmas
+Roll+into+the+holidays.+In+Downtown+Rochester%2C+senior+Kyle+Mecum%E2%80%99s+car+lights+up+for+Christmas.+This+was+the+first+year+Mecum+got+the+idea+to+wrap+his+car+in+Christmas+lights%2C+and+it+won%E2%80%99t+be+the+last.%0A
Roll into the holidays. In Downtown Rochester, senior Kyle Mecum’s car lights up for Christmas. This was the first year Mecum got the idea to wrap his car in Christmas lights, and it won’t be the last.

With lights wrapping his car from wheel to wheel, senior Kyle Mecum decks his car in Christmas spirit.

“I was just at work one day and I was bored,” Mecum said. “I normally add Christmas decorations to my car, then I just got the idea.”

Working alone, at midnight Mecum wrapped the car for three hours in the Christmas lights. Christmas has been a big inspiration for him as the holidays roll around.

“I love Christmas, I love the family time and honestly just the decorations,” Mecum said. “In my room, I have it completely decked out for Christmas.”

The bright lights have also attracted a lot of popularity for Mecum recently. 

“I did not think I would get this much attention. I thought that maybe people would see it and think it’s cool,” Mecum said. “A lot of people take pictures and start talking to me now because of it.”

Since this is the first year for this new idea, the lights haven’t caused any legal problems for Mecum yet. He also plans to use the same decorating tactic for future Christmases. In the meantime, the lights caught the eyes of the Utica Community School’s Facebook, who uploaded a photo to the account.

“It was a Monday morning right after Thanksgiving break,” substitute teacher Antoinette Perliski said. “It just lifted up the parking lot and it made me happy, so I decided to take a picture and share it with everybody.”