The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Playing along

Using his experience in three bands Ryan Catey hopes to pursue a career in music
Music+from+the+soul.+At+a+football+game+junior+field+commander+Ryan+Catey+conducts+the+marching+band.+Catey+has+been+a+part+of+the+band+for+three+years+and+is+also+a+part+of+the+jazz+band+and+wind+ensemble.+%E2%80%9CI+love+performing+with+my+whole+soul%2C%E2%80%9D+Catey+said.+
Elizabeth Sadecki
Music from the soul. At a football game junior field commander Ryan Catey conducts the marching band. Catey has been a part of the band for three years and is also a part of the jazz band and wind ensemble. “I love performing with my whole soul,” Catey said.

After three years in the marching band, junior field commander Ryan Catey’s hopes his passion for music inspires others. 

“I want to get more people interested because the numbers are dropping,” Catey said. “I want to have a really good performance and have a bunch of little kids be like, ‘oh, I want to do band because of that.’”

Catey taught himself how to play 13 instruments and took lessons for piano and saxophone. Playing 15 instruments in total he is a part of the wind ensemble and jazz band, which according to Catey are two of the most difficult bands at the school. 

“It takes a lot of time and is a very big commitment. It’s basically my social life and school life,” Catey said. 

Attending rehearsal every Friday for two months, along with an additional week in August is a part of this commitment. The students in the band have kept him coming back year after year which allowed him to make friends such as his bandmate senior Evan Nagorka. 

“He’s probably one of the best of us and you can just tell by his sound that he’s very dedicated and works very hard,” Nagorka said. 

Nagorka isn’t the only one who notices Catey’s passion while playing. His band director Bradley Arnold has only instructed Catey for one season but has taken notice of his passion and how he stands out from other students. 

“[He’s] passionate about playing music at a high level and helping others,” Arnold said. “Very leadership oriented [and] always finding ways to help his peers.” 

Catey performed at the National Honor Society induction ceremony and was awarded a $500 scholarship for a solo he performed at districts and state level. Certain that he wants to pursue music after high school, Catey is looking at Michigan State University, University of Michigan and Berklee College of Music, because of their music programs. 

“Absolutely I want to make my own music,” Catey said. “That’s how I want to make my living.”

Every aspect of music piqued Catey’s interest but his love for performing is what led him to the decision to pursue music. 

I love seeing the happy faces of people after they listen,” Catey said. “So, it pushes me to have better performances and really chase that feeling of fulfillment I get from making people happy.”