The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Leaving behind comfort and facing struggles

Moving from Albania sophomore Marina Mysliu and her family start a new life in America
+Embracing+change.+Mysliu+adapts+to+change+when+she+moves+with+her+family+to+America.+After+her+family+decided+to+make+the+big+move+Mysliu+had+to+find+ways+to+adjust+to+a+new+school+atmosphere.+The+school+where+she+started+here+at+first+was+not+a+good+fit+for+her+and+it+made+her+feel+very+uncertain+about+living+here%2C+after+3+years+I+see+Marina+doing+very+well+in+all+life+aspects%2C%E2%80%99%E2%80%99+Marinas+mother+Elona+Mysliu+said.+%0A
Noor Almohammadi
Embracing change. Mysliu adapts to change when she moves with her family to America. After her family decided to make the big move Mysliu had to find ways to adjust to a new school atmosphere. “The school where she started here at first was not a good fit for her and it made her feel very uncertain about living here, after 3 years I see Marina doing very well in all life aspects,’’ Marina’s mother Elona Mysliu said.

Coming from Albania for a better future and education required sophomore Marina Mysliu and her family to leave loved ones and their home behind.

‘’Marina was not very fond of the decision. At first, she did not like to change schools and leave her friends behind,” Mysliu’s mother Elona Mysliu said. “After moving here it made her sad and seek answers from me as her mom,’’

Due to moving from another country, Mysliu was shocked from how seriously Americans took Coronavirus. Initially, virtual schooling was hard to get used to and Marina struggled to cope. 

“I was so stressed about everything. I understood the language. I just had trouble writing and formulating sentences,’’ Mysliu said.

Mysliu was shocked to see in American schools’ students switch classrooms and there are different groups of kids. In Albania, students are in one class with the same people and they don’t switch to another classroom, the teachers come to the students. 

“I didn’t really talk that much because I didn’t know what to say. And everybody was already in their little groups of friends,” Mysliu said.

Mysliu got involved in school activities, joining Stagecraft and making the poster for the Peter Pan and Wendy production.

“She has made a big impact in my opinion in our theater arts community and I’m really happy that she’s here and she helped us make the posters for the Peter Pan and Wendy production. And she’s just a great person overall,” sophomore Kathrine Keenan said.

Despite overcoming the cultural shocks and challenges of moving Mysliu still misses her family. 

‘’I’m still in denial about living here. I’m convinced I’m here on vacation and I’m going to go back home again any day now,” Mysliu said.

According to Mysliu, she thinks on how beautiful Albanian culture is and the dances are.

“Albania is known for its medieval-era castles, exotic beaches and Ottoman architecture lined up on the streets,” Marina’s mother Elona Mysliu said. “A very important part of our culture that I would like everyone to know is that Albania is home to various religious communities such as Muslims, Christians, orthodox, Jews. Religious tolerance is among the most important values of the Albanian tradition,”.