AP Test Fee Reduction

For all AP students in financial need, The College Board offers a test fee reduction for those who meet the criteria.

Counselor gives a student  the AP waiver so he can apply for the test fee reduction.
Counselor gives a student the AP waiver so he can apply for the test fee reduction.

“I think this is a great idea, because it provides a chance for all students to be able to take the AP test,” junior Jessica DeClercq said. “AP classes are really tough and it wouldn’t be fair for people who are acing the class to not be able to take the test because they can’t afford it.”

To qualify for the reduced fee, enrolled students first must fall under the eligibility criteria defined by The College Board. If a student is already enrolled in the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch Program, they automatically qualify for the fee reduction. Eligibility is also based on a family’s income. Depending on the school, criteria may vary.

“I believe that any time an opportunity can be provided to a student, who may not have been there due to financial barriers, is a great thing,” Counselor JP Stice said. “Taking an AP class is hard work.”

Each state determines whether students qualifying for the fee reduction are eligible for additional fee reductions through federal and state grants, according to The College Board.  All students who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to the College Board’s fee reduction for each AP Exam they take. For more details or to check if a student qualifies, they can set up a meeting with their counselor.