The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Sunshine seniors rise

The sunrise took place for seniors to enjoy the morning before school started

There are over 250 seniors sprawled about; they talked, ate and sat on the grass looking up at the sky, ready for this year to begin. 

“I woke up really early to come out here to enjoy the delicious syrup and pancakes,” senior Sophie Schoenherr said. “Attending future senior events definitely will be something I plan on doing.” 

The senior exclusive sunrise was announced a week in advance before it took place at the Malow Football & Track field on Friday, Sept. 8 at 6:45 a.m. Students showed up early to secure their hands on over 600 pancakes, spend time with friends and watch the sunrise before school began.

“This is the 10th year of the senior sunrise,” Student Council advisor Amber Bronson said. “I attended a Josten’s conference 10 years ago in the summer, where this was an idea to get seniors more involved and get them to enjoy their year a little bit more.”  

STUCO seniors laid back and enjoyed the morning event while juniors and sophomores made this a gift for the senior STUCO members by executing the event. They came up with the slogan, “You gotta wear shades because our future’s so bright” and passed out sunglasses for seniors to wear during the event. 

“Celebrating with my friends was a big highlight for me in this,” senior Jillian Prall said. “I recommend seniors to appreciate all of the opportunities we have this year by attending these events.”

Some friend groups slowly but surely merged into a big group of talkative seniors and talked about the event.  

“Every opportunity you pass up is one more memory you missed,” Bronson said. “It’s so easy to just concentrate on your friend group that you miss being part of a class of over 600 people and miss out on celebrating your success together.”