The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Stice seizes retirement

Josana Stice retires after 24 years in education
End of an era. Counselor Josana Stice closes the door on her 24-year career in education. Her last day at school was Friday,

Fours years into her schooling as an occupational therapist, Josana Stice was given advice that would lead to her 24 year long career in education.

“When I walked out into the parking lot with the person I was doing my practicum under she told me I was in a bad situation and I needed to go into education,” Stice said. “I thought about it, and I agreed with her. So I switched my major in my fourth year and went to teaching. And I have no regrets.”

Stice’s dedication to counseling or teaching at all four Utica Community high schools, Shelby Junior High, Heritage Junior High, Jeanette Junior High and Christman Elementary make up her 24 year career in education.

“Working with kids and the remarkable staff has been my favorite part because everybody here is truly here for kids,” Stice said.

Fellow counselor and friend Thomas Verselle worked closely with Stice for eighteen of the nineteen years they’ve known one another. They met when Stice first joined the staff as the district testing coordinator. After almost two decades of working together, Verselle is sad to see her go but credits the amazing job she did.

“I think she was always going to be upfront and honest with somebody. But then sometimes she knew the best thing to do is to sit there and listen,” Versele said. “She was always very willing to help her students and to go above and beyond.”

Stice’s schedule varies on a day-to-day basis. Every day is student based which poses its own challenges and rewards. Testing, busy work and other uncontrollable factors which pull students away from her present their own trials.

“But really, I’d say every day—even if it’s a hard day—is a high point,” Stice said. “Because I went into education to work with kids.”

In addition to her counseling skills, Stice was also known for her knowledge in policies, protocols, testing, and the college atmosphere. Principal Brandon Manzella often went to Stice during complications in counseling. 

“In fact, she was probably one of the most knowledgeable individuals that I had on staff in regards to the college readiness and what the colleges were looking for,” Manzella said. 

Stice is retiring with a bachelor degree in special education, a master’s in counseling, and over two decades of experience under her Eagle’s wing.

“I’m excited to start something new,” Stice said. “But it’s hard.”