Student awareness leads to student success

Club signups and explanations should be better represented throughout the school

Vivian Pozsgay

In the school’s hallways, posters are plastered on the walls showing clubs to join. Posters as the one shown should still be displayed, as they are creative and fun to look at. However, more posters with clear, concise information should be shown to students so they can understand where resources are offered.

Limited access to resources results in less opportunities to participate in school-advised clubs.

Participation in clubs helps advance communication skills and teaches students how to work well together. Involvement within clubs is crucial for many students; however, poor advertisement hinders opportunities for students. To take advantage of school involvement, resources need to be shared.

When students join clubs, they are able to gain new experiences for their future career or education, which grants them insight for their future. Attaining resources is crucial to experience these benefits of school clubs.

While the school offers many club opportunities to students, it can be difficult to successfully sign up and participate in them. There is a lack of access to resources surrounding Ike clubs, as hardly any emails, discussions or papers are put forth about how to become involved. Confusion discourages students from participating, so it is important to make information easy to come by. 

Clubs are vital because they allow for students to learn and undergo new experiences. Being a part of something is extremely uplifting to the people interested. If more discussion of extracurriculars is ignited, more opportunities for learning and leadership-like roles are made available.

Some may say students interested in clubs should figure out how to sign up themselves, but this isn’t true because students need guidance from staff who are aware of club activity. By being aware and a part of a club, students then are able to be enlightened and participate in something they enjoy.

In order for students to be involved, discussion about when, where and how these clubs are occurring must be made more available by the school. Many clubs are run by teachers from the school; therefore, they would be able to implement papers or emails to their students regarding what clubs are available. The UCS website should be updated in order to provide club descriptions for students.