The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Stop, you’re losing me

Give Taylor Swift’s relationship a break from media coverage
Over+captured.+Taylor+Swift+has+taken+over+the+limelight+everywhere%2C+not+just+on+stage.+But+her+constant+presence+on+television+during+the+NFL+season+left+a+bitter+taste+in+many+peoples+mouths.+
Over captured. Taylor Swift has taken over the limelight everywhere, not just on stage. But her constant presence on television during the NFL season left a bitter taste in many people’s mouths.

Since starting an extremely public relationship with Travis Kelce, news channels have discussed Taylor Swift more frequently and unnecessarily. 

The intrigue is understandable considering their relationship looks like the perfect love story. However, the discussion around it on news channels and websites like the Today Show and Sporting News is overkill. 

On the Today show, the topic is discussed in a gossipy but harmless way without crossing a line. It could annoy some people. But it’s harmless and no different from how fans may talk with one another.  

The line, however, was crossed during this past Super Bowl, when Sporting News provided a jet tracker that gave in-depth updates about Taylor Swift’s flight to America from Tokyo. Updates were provided at least every 15 minutes that included her estimated time of arrival (ETA) for touching down in Los Angeles or what state she was flying over. 

Not only is this unnecessary and invasive, it’s creepy. As a Swiftie, it feels safe to assume that other fans of Taylor Swift weren’t anxiously waiting for when she was 10 minutes away from Los Angeles or if her ETA had changed.

Thankfully, not all of Swift’s latest coverage has been this senseless. Her recent accomplishments are also getting recognized. 

In addition to winning another grammy in February, the Era’s Tour broke the record for the highest-grossing music tour ever. According to Guinness World Records, Swift broke countless more records in 2023. This past summer she broke seven records, right around the time rumors about her and Travis Kelce’s relationship started. 

Because of her relationship and achievements, Swift has undeniably been talked about more. But not for the right reason. 

Celebrities’ personal lives being shown all over different media is nothing new. And it’s certainly something Swift is familiar with. But the bad blood occurs when broadcasting channels start to cover her relationship more than her accomplishments.

Fans interested in the new romantics have plenty of content to feed them on TikTok and other social media platforms. News channels don’t need to discuss it further. Especially considering most people tuning in probably aren’t interested. Instead, they can report the separate accomplishments of Swift and Kelce – without tracking a jet to see when the couple will be reunited. 

Long story short, news channels should dial back on updating about the couples’ relationship and focus on their individual achievements.