The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Rock Around the Holiday Drinks

After the fall season drinks, Christmas comes back to town
Nikolina Dimikj
Jolly drinks. Starbucks’ winter menu returns again with one new drink. Consisting of four lattes and one mocha, a new drink has been introduced, the gingerbread oat milk chai latte. Separately all drinks leave a positive impression.

Since the end of the fall menu, winter is coming to town and Starbuck’s menu includes, Iced Gingerbread Oatmilk Chai, Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulée Latte, Chestnut Praline Latte and the Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte. 

Run run as fast as you can, here comes the gingerbread latte

This drink contains oat milk, chai, gingerbread syrup and spiced toppings. The drink comes hot or cold. A barista would steam the milk for a hot version of the drink, which provides the foamy top, but the cold drinks are topped with oat milk froth.

Dually capturing the essence of late autumn, one sip brings the crisp air and the subtlety of the pumpkin spice back to life. When continuing to sip slowly an immersion of the holiday spirit unravels the distinct gingerbread flavor.  

On top of that, the sweetness is also balanced, not too sugary to hurt teeth, but not too bland either. Even when the drink’s cold, the feelings of baking Christmas cookies the night before Santa comes are just as prominent. It’s not just a drink; it’s a flavorful journey through late autumn. The overall rating for this drink is a 5/5.

Cold hands, warm heart, hot peppermint mocha

The peppermint mocha contains espresso, steamed milk, mocha and peppermint-flavored syrup. It is topped with curls of dark chocolate and whipped cream. Like every other drink, it comes cold or hot. 20 years passed since this drink debuted and it’s just as popular now. 

A must try for anyone looking for a timeless drink in the winter. Its classic peppermint flavor contrasts the hot mocha, which feels like the cold air that hits when exiting the warm home. Taking a sip, the duality between the refreshing peppermint and warm mocha, is like having a hot coffee on a cold winter night. Although this drink remains an overall classic staple for the holiday menu, it wouldn’t be the pick of the litter. The rating for this drink is 4/5.

The magic caramel touch

The caramel brulée latte contains expresso, steamed milk and caramel brulée sauce. Topped with whipped cream and caramel brulée bits, the caramel brulée separates itself as the bolder pick among the different holiday drinks because of its coffee strength.  

The perfect balance between sweetness and the bold coffee flavor, makes each flavor distinguishable. The sweetness doesn’t take over but complements the coffee. The caramel flavor, which tastes a little burnt, separates itself from typical coffee. The drink feels more elegant than most.  Alongside the flavor also comes the scent, a strong creamy smell that flourishes the sweetness of the drink. The overall rating for this latte is 3/5.

Chestnut latte roasting on an open fire

The chestnut praline latte contains espresso roast, chestnut praline syrup, whipped cream and praline crumbs sprinkled on top. The drink comes hot, iced and as a Frappuccino. Seamlessly, the winter starts as the autumn ends when taking a sip from this latte.

Harvested from mid-September through November, chestnuts instill a soft sweetness. The nutty flavors are subtle but noticeable, making it easy on the taste buds. Following up, the steamed milk gives the drink the velvety texture that’s easy on the brain. Most likely one of the drinks not many people recognize because it’s overlooked by more familiar options, but it stands out as a hidden treasure. The overall rating for this drink is 3/5. 

The way the sugar cookie latte crumbles

The sugar cookie almond milk latte consists of blonde espresso roast, sugar cookie syrup and almond milk with red and green sprinkles on top. The latte starts off too sweet, but the aftertaste is vanilla before surprisingly turning bitter. It doesn’t taste like the expected sugar cookie flavor, and there’s a burnt sugar undertone that takes away from the cozy sweetness. 

The sparkles don’t help the look of the drink either, because when taking a sip a dark color floods the imagination of the brain, rather than happy festive thoughts. While the idea of a sugar cookie-flavored sounds exciting, the reality is a bit disappointing. It has a bland taste with a lingering taste of unexpected bitterness that lingers. Overall, this drink didn’t make an impact, and falls to the bottom of the list. The rating for this drink is 2/5.

Overall, all the drinks are what you would expect from a classic holiday menu. The gingerbread oat milk chai latte especially stood out because of the new outburst of popularity for chai. Out of all the drinks, the sugar cookie latte is the most disappointing while the gingerbread oat milk chai is ahead of its competition. All the other drinks weren’t necessarily bad, but definitely wouldn’t get them without a purpose.