UCS stops chasing traces of Covid-19

UCS updates the Covid-19 quarantine policy

In the front office, the Covid-19 memo sits by the check-in and reminds visitors and students to monitor possible symptoms for Covid-19.

Danielle M Carlisi

Following a statement from the Macomb County Health Department, UCS updated their Covid-19 quarantine policy to eliminate contact tracing.

“We need our education professionals focused on the education and well-being of our students and staff,” according to superintendent Robert Monroe’s letter to the community.

When a positive case is reported, students and staff will be notified through an email containing information of an anonymous positive case in their classroom. The policy, effective Jan. 21,  requires students and staff notified to monitor for symptoms, but to continue to attend school in-person if they choose to. They might also choose to test or self-quarantine.

“I don’t mind the new quarantine policy because it allows me to stay in class more. Most of my teachers don’t have Teams’ meetings set up, so I miss all of the in-person lectures,” senior Lilianna Rosol said.

Required quarantines only exist for students with a positive test, which lasts for five days.

“I think it’s good for attendance and not much else, like the safety and health of the kids and families related to Eisenhower,” senior Katherine Khidhir said.

To check the number of cases at the school, UCS updates their Covid-19 dashboard found on Uticak12.org.

“Your partnership remains critical,” Monroe said. “Our communities should continue to self-screen every morning and staff that do not feel well should remain at home.”