School transitions to temporary remote learning

An increase number of Covid-19 cases puts a pause on in-person learning

While+waiting+for+class+to+start%2C+seniors+decide+to+do+their+virtual+learning+together.+%E2%80%9CI+prefer+working+in+groups+with+my+friends+because+we+accomplish+a+lot+more+than+we+would+by+ourselves.%E2%80%9D+Kraemer+said.+In+the+beginning+of+every+week%2C+they+set+up+a+schedule+for+whose+house+they+are+going+to+go+to.+

While waiting for class to start, seniors decide to do their virtual learning together. “I prefer working in groups with my friends because we accomplish a lot more than we would by ourselves.” Kraemer said. In the beginning of every week, they set up a schedule for whose house they are going to go to.

With 40 positive COVID cases and over 400 students quarantined after a week of full in-person learning, the in-person learning schedule comes to a halt as students and teachers transition back to remote learning.

“The first priority of our school is the health and safety of our entire community,” principal Jared McEvoy said in an email to the school community. “Due to a significant number of new cases of Covid-19 and the resulting mandated quarantine of Eisenhower students, we will, as a precaution, need to temporarily pause our in-person instruction.”

Starting March 23, students returned back to remote learning in their own homes and will continue through April 19, which includes spring break and the previously planned remote week after spring break. 

“I felt relieved that we didn’t have to worry about getting up early and going to school,” senior Alessia Evola said. “It is also a good thing that we switched because we had an outbreak in the school and need to make sure we are all safe.”

To ensure safety, spring sports tryouts are on pause for now and start up dates will be shared by the athletic department as the information becomes available. However, sports in post season play may continue while following the updated Michigan High School Athletics Association.

The district’s plan is to safely bring students back to in-person learning the week of April 19. More information will be forthcoming from the district.

“It is critical that all of us take the necessary steps to mitigate the spread in our community,” McEvoy said. “These include self-screening and staying home if you do not feel well, the use of face coverings, distancing, regular handwashing, and the use of disinfectant.”