Equestrians: join the team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Equestrians: join the team

Finishing up the horse show, sophomore Kendall Westgate stands with her horse Paisley under a sign.

Kendall Westgate, Editor

Only members of the equestrian team can make friends and ride a horse as part of a school team.

Good traits come from being an equestrian, such as mental health. Horseback riding stimulates positive psychological feelings, according to a study by the British Horse Society (BHS). More than 80 percent of riders questioned throughout the study said horseback riding made them feel “extremely cheerful, relaxed, happy or active.” By joining an equestrian team, students can improve their mental health.

Not only does horseback riding improve mental health, it improves physical health, too. Equestrians develop reflexes and a better sense of balance, since they use their entire body to guide the horse. The work dedicated to owning a horse is physically demanding, like moving hay bales and cleaning out the horses’ stalls.

The friendships gained being a part of a team is undeniable. Students share their love for horses with others, which results in new friendships and bonds. Students should join an equestrian team because it brings people together who have a common interest: the love of horses.

Colleges are starting to offer more scholarships to equestrians, according to collegescholarships.org. Division I NCAA equestrian programs include colleges such as, Auburn University and University of South Carolina. By participating in a high school equestrian team, it opens up more scholarship opportunities, which students are always looking out for.

It is understandable why some students may not want to join an equestrian team. Sometimes it is considered “unfair” because not everyone owns a horse, yet a team member doesn’t have to own a horse to be a part of the team. A team member can still be a groom, which is a person who takes care of the horses without owning one.

By joining an equestrian team it brings students together for their basic love of horses and it provides a mental break from the stress most students experience on a day-to-day basis.

• Equestrians: join the team

Equestrian

Equestrian riding results

• Equestrians: join the team

News

Time to get jazzy

• Equestrians: join the team

Feature

Choirs advance to states

• Equestrians: join the team

Feature

The Road to States

• Person in the hallway

Students voice opinion on lanyards

• Opinion

Lanyards ensure Safety

• Opinion

Digital Dangers

• Equestrians: join the team

Opinion

Future Generation getting involved

• Equestrians: join the team

Opinion

We’re All In This Together

• Equestrians: join the team

Feature

Students find fate

Equestrians: join the team