Friends until the end

Looking at my dynamic friend group, I was one of those poor saps who thought friendships were magical— or some garbage like that. I thought nothing could ever tear us apart.

Maybe I was wrong.  

High school friendships are important in our lives, but sadly not permanent.

Growing apart from friends after high school is almost definite. Meeting new people later in life is a natural part of growing up and becoming an adult. And understanding the change is important to make the transition easier.

Maintaining any relationship requires proximity, which is hard to accomplish when most students will move away to college. How are you supposed to maintain a close relationship with a person who goes to another school, let alone seven or eight people?

Finding a new friend group will take time, but it will come naturally in the college environment. People always find each other and graduation is a new beginning.

Graduation and moving away from home starts the adult era in our lives. We need to surround ourselves with new people who are going to help us grow into our new selves. How are we supposed to grow if we are constantly surrounded by the same people and situations?

Meeting new people in a new environment will help us move into adulthood. And while holding onto old friendships is important—they help us remember where we have been—now it’s time to focus on where we are going. Moving on can open up doors to the future.

It’s easy to look back and hold onto what once was.

In the meantime, take a look back and enjoy this time with friends. They were with you during classes, lunches and almost every Friday and Saturday night since sophomore year.

The group saw break-ups, make-ups and additions. It’s seen fights and feuds. It’s taken sides. And it wouldn’t miss a football game.

These people helped turn you into the individual that you are, celebrate that together.

But it’s time to go.

Moving on from these people is hard, because they helped you grow up. But now it’s time to be grown up.