Back to the Future theme has Student Council buzzing

The theme for Homecoming is Back to the Future and everybody is busy with preparations. The glow in the dark decorations provided new wrinkles for everyone in charge.                                                                                                                     

”There has been a ton of work put into homecoming. It is great that homecoming was later this year so it gave us a lot of time to work together and come up with ideas,” student council advisor Amber Bronson said.

Amber Bronson and her student council staff have been planning homecoming for six months. Student council chose Back to the Future as the theme last spring and had meetings all summer to plan for homecoming shirts, tickets, homecoming week plans, and how to decorate the school on October 22.

“We will have some aspects of the movie intertwined into the decorations and incorporating the futuristic look. When you walk into the commons it will look like you are going through a time machine,” student council member Courtney VanOphem said.

The two and a half hours students will be in the school they will feel like they are in the Back to the Future movie. The decorations will be detailed to look like the  exact characters, scenes, and objects that are in the movie.   

Homecoming is packed with activities and student council is planning on having student competitions at lunch each day. Music was playing before school and at lunch. Student council showed the Back to the Future movie one day at lunch. Free class shirts were handed out in different colors for each class.

Junior and senior girls also play a flag football game. “The powderpuff was my favorite homecoming activity because the game got me pumped for homecoming and I also had fun with my friends.’’ powderpuff junior player Rachel Sierzenga said. Powderpuff was a way for girls to show their competitive spirit and athletic abilities.

The homecoming queen is announced at halftime and the band and varsity dance team

always put on halftime performances. Student council casts a poll for seniors who voted and who they wanted to be elected on homecoming court.

. “The biggest focus for us is the timing of the halftime show, the band, and the crowning of the homecoming queen.” student council advisor Amber Bronson said. Amber Bronson is explaining that it took hard work and plenty of preparation to plan three performances into one halftime.

Overall student council is excited to see that all of their hard work and planning will come to fruition over this next week. Student council has put so much time and energy into homecoming and now they just want the long buildup to be over.