Free pizza and a French movie unites French club

Free pizza and a movie in a language they aren’t fluent in, is just what French club plans for their members, new and returning.

“To get people together, but also to get a good experience of watching a true French movie from France with English subtitles. Something that is very cultural so they can see how movies are in Europe and also free pizza,” French club adviser Daniel Wagner said.

In the past, students have continued to come to movie night, despite it being a little hard for them to follow along. New members who may not have that much experience with native speaking French, will get to see how it’s actually used.

Over the years, there is typically a mixture of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The overall goal of French Club is to bring new and returning members together, no matter the grade level.

“You get to see people use the language in real life and not just your teacher. They have different dialects and you learn more from someone who speaks native French,” sophomore Amanda Beger said.

According to Beger, watching a movie from France is a way for students to truly see how the language is used, which is a large step up from just hearing it from someone who is trying to teach the pronunciation of the words. The cultural divide can be broken in the world of film.

“In the past, they’ve typically liked movie night. I mean some of the movies we‘ve watched, some of them have been award winners, others haven’t, but they’ve liked them because they’re current,” Wagner said. “Some of them are funny, so they can relate to that and they get to see how humor is in France so, I haven’t had any bad experiences.”