Hope for Homeless betters community

Homeless children, in Macomb County alone numbered about 1,650, according to the Michigan Intermediate School District (MISD) in 2014.

“I just hope they end up happy in the end and they really do feel like they have the ability to make a difference,” Hope for Homeless member Sarah Fatah said. “ And that they’ll realize that there are still good people in the world and overall they will just be happy.”

On Saturday October 29th, Hope for Homeless will be joining forces with MISD at Macomb Community College to pack backpacks for about four hours for homeless children in their area. They will be filling backpacks with school supplies such as pencils and folders according to Hahn.

“We are hoping to get about a half a dozen [people], but we’d love to get more,” junior club advisor Audrey Warner said.

Hope for Homeless members also plans to involve members from other clubs, according to Warner, who need community service hours to come and join them in packing backpacks. And while students will earn volunteer hours, Hahn wants her students to get something out of participating in this event as well.

“Hopefully, they’ll realize that most students are pretty privileged to live in a house and to have a roof over their head,” she said. “Hopefully, they’ll understand a little more about the diversity of our community and that not everyone has been as fortunate in regards to health issues, finances,jobs or whatever it is. I think it’s great that my students want to do this.”