Kostiuk earns top journalism honors

Accepting+the+All-Mipa+Mutiplatform+award%2C+senior+Lauren+Kostiuk+smiles+in+excitement+at+the+spring+Michigan+Interscholastic+Press+Association+ceremony+April+22.+%E2%80%9CThis+award+shows+everything+I%E2%80%99ve+worked+for+the+past+three+years%2C%E2%80%9D+Kostiuk+said.+%E2%80%9CIt+is+such+an+%0Aaccomplishment+and+means+so+much+to+me+that+I+reached+as+far+as+I+have.%E2%80%9D+

courtesy photo

Accepting the All-Mipa Mutiplatform award, senior Lauren Kostiuk smiles in excitement at the spring Michigan Interscholastic Press Association ceremony April 22. “This award shows everything I’ve worked for the past three years,” Kostiuk said. “It is such an accomplishment and means so much to me that I reached as far as I have.”

At the age of eight, senior Newspaper Editor-in-Chief Lauren Kostiuk sat in her room writing with a pad of paper in her hands, never imagining she would earn the 2014 Michigan High School Journalist of the year, Michigan Interscholastic Press Association All-State multiplatform title and become a Quill and Scroll International Writing and Photo contest National winner.

“The whole experience is shell shocking and it’s something that I’ll always remember,” Kostiuk said. “I worked really hard my senior year and I know it all pays off in the end. It’s something I’m very proud of and will never forget.”

She submitted two portfolios to the MIPA for the state and national competition, which included: a resume, essay, three letters of recommendation, writing, design, photography, videography and new media submissions.

“I saved a lot of my writing for this, but I never imagined it to be so much work,” she said. “I stayed up every night until midnight coming up with themes and design, as well as managing my school newspaper. I’m so glad I got it all done and it paid off.”

Kostiuk’s parents gave her the push she needed by believing in her. They helped her by helping her attend summer camps, to staying in the room with her as she writes when she’s stressed

“I immediately had tears of joy in my eyes when we found out she’d won,” mother Tina Kostiuk said. “Lauren flourishes in the evolution and ever-changing profession of journalism; I know she will succeed in whatever she chooses to do.”

Kostiuk was the opinion editor her junior year and single handily started the newspaper’s first social media position and Twitter account. She also started the school’s first online publication, showing her dedication in the journalism world.

“Lauren always helps the other kids in our class, even when she has three or more stories, to make every paper our best,” senior associate editor Hayley Himanek said. “I know I can count on her to help me and the other editors be ready for each deadline.”

During her high school years, Kostiuk entered other writing and photography competitions, such as Scholastic Art and Writing, where she earned a Silver Key in photography and IMG_0013RSStwo Honorable Mentions for her writing. Not only is Kostiuk an all-around new media journalist, she saves time for friends after school, participates in school events, is currently Historian of National Honors Society, a member of National Art Honors Society, takes Advanced Placement classes and maintains a job.

“It’s really hard to manage all of the things I do on a daily basis, but I don’t want to be just another journalism student,” Kostiuk said. “I want to do new things and diversifying myself will help me later on.”

Kostiuk plans to attend Columbia College in Chicago in the fall, because “it’s a creative learning environment “and her” favorite place in the world.”

“I don’t want to be the basic news writer for the Free Press,” Kostiuk said. “I want to go into something different, new media is evolving like video, online and broadcasting. It’s somewhere I can expand my horizons and I can’t wait.”

Kostiuk will major in journalism and focus on entertainment broadcasting, which is her true passion.

“I’ll always miss my students, but Lauren is one of those editors who will leave and there will to be a void in this room,” publications adviser Erica Kincannon said. “I know that she’s got a really bright future ahead. I don’t know if it’ll end up being on the red carpet interviewing people or if she’s going to have a professional blog or a photo studio, but she’s going to end up being big.”