The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

SAT turns virtual

The Practice Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) turned to virtual testing this year
Ava Nightingale
Turning over to technology. The PSAT (Practice Scholastic Assessment Test) turns over a new leaf to virtual testing. It’s an hour shorter and the questions are based on your skill level.

As juniors file in the classroom and take their seats; computers are taken out and opened to take the Practice Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) on the Bluebook app.

“It [the virtual PSAT] was a little easier and a little harder,” junior Connor Tran said. “It’s nice being able to keep track of your time and keep track of everything. It was a bit harder to focus on paper. I prefer the virtual PSAT a little bit more than the paper one.”

Switching to virtual testing made it easier for proctors overseeing the test.

“For us [the set up was easier]. It works in a different way,” test proctor and student counselor Thomas Versele said. “We liked how the setup worked better than it has in the past. It was helpful to not have to haul as many books around or to deal with as much paperwork.”

In past years, proctors would need to prepare weeks in advance for the PSAT/SAT. Preparation consisted of: putting labels on individual test sheets, organizing test sheets to get to the right areas and counting out every book. But now, changes brought along a cleaner set up for proctors and testers. Everyone went into the test not knowing what to expect with the changes.

“It seems to me that they [juniors] didn’t know what to expect,” Versele said. “It wasn’t until after I asked them which they preferred and they said they preferred it [virtual testing]. I don’t think anyone went in with the attitude of ‘I’m going to hate this.’ I think they were open to trying something new.”

According to Versele, one reason why students preferred virtual over paper and pencil was the test was one hour shorter than usual. The decrease in time is because the computer senses how the students answer questions. If students do well on easier questions they move on. As students progress onto more medium-level questions, if the student hits a plateau, they don’t proceed to the harder questions. The students’ who reach and answer well on the harder questions score better. With this being the first time the PSAT/SAT is virtual, technology issues were a worry.

“[We only worry about] if you’re having technology issues. There’s potential for big issues with that [technology],” Versele said. “We had some pretty good luck the first time [we administered the test]. Even though there were issues here and there, we were able to find solutions.”

Some didn’t have their computers fully charged and proctors had to scramble for computer chargers, which weren’t always available. Despite challenges, the test experienced positive feedback.

“It was great, students reported it was easier than the paper pencil. They liked the way it was broken into smaller passages,” Associate principal Kate Walker said. “Students liked it better because it was shorter. It was great, we were able to test 600 students with limited interruptions.”