The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Santa’s Craft Castle Comeback

The bands biggest fundraiser returns from a three-year hiatus
Back+for+music.+The+band%E2%80%99s+fundraiser%2C+Santa%E2%80%99s+Craft+Castle%2C+returns+on+Saturday%2C+Nov.+18.+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+kind+of+a+big+deal+because+thats+our+money+raiser+for+the+band+and+a+lot+of+people+love+it+too.+So%2C+it+is+awesome+that+were+bringing+it+back+but+its+hard%2C%E2%80%9D+event+coordinator+and+front+office+administrative+assistant+Melissa+Dobek+said.+
Nikolina Dimikj
Back for music. The band’s fundraiser, Santa’s Craft Castle, returns on Saturday, Nov. 18. “It’s kind of a big deal because that’s our money raiser for the band and a lot of people love it too. So, it is awesome that we’re bringing it back but it’s hard,” event coordinator and front office administrative assistant Melissa Dobek said.

In its 39th year the band program’s largest fundraiser, Santa’s Craft Castle, defrosts on Saturday, Nov. 18.

“It supports us and everything that we do, so this fundraiser makes the wheels turn,” band director Bradley Arnold said.

This fundraiser, which also includes a 50/50 raffle, plays a key role in helping the band afford band camps, marching band equipment, concerts, festivals and more. Event coordinator Melissa Dobek took on the task of bringing the craft show back to the school. 

“It has been stressful, I’m kind of just doing this all blindfolded,” Dobek said. “[However,] this is making money for the band, so it gives them more different varieties of choices for our music and then it pays for all the equipment that they need for Band camp.” 

Band students, alumni, band parents and Key Club members will assist during the event. 

“We have enough students, parents are where I need more [help],” Dobek said. “We’re trying to have a security system in place.”

Along with needing more hands-on deck, Dobek anticipates involving more adults because of the 105 booths planned.

“It’s important [that people should come] so that we can have good funding for all the amazing band events we get to partake in, drum major Cayla Colby said. “I’m excited to play Christmas music for everybody and for them to actually know the songs, most of the time we play music that nobody really knows.”