FCCLA takes a lead

FCCLA wins multiple awards and medals at their first state competition

Golden girls. Competing in the conference, seniors Chloe Cocco, Sabina Basil and Maria Valles Zubia won a gold award. Focused on children, their topic was ‘Kindness is a Superpower’ that emphasized the value of respecting others. “My favorite part of the conference was bonding with everyone that was there, like making new friends,” Cocco said. “We won a gold award and then a 90 out of 100. We felt pretty good because we were very nervous since it was our first time ever competing there.”

Students a part of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) took a lead at their first ever state competition this year.

“I’m so proud of the students and the work that not only they did to prepare for the competitions, but these students have been doing service projects throughout the whole year,” FCCLA advisor Lisa Willerick said. “So, I’m just really proud of their selfless demeanor and just their ability to look ahead towards the future and make the world a better place.”

FCCLA competed at a state conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Wednesday, March 21 and Thursday, March 23. In total, members earned three gold and nine silver medals in the events they competed in. Also, sophomores Shelby Hotton and Isabella Malouf were awarded the Power of One award after submitting applications that showed their dedication and diligence.

“It made us feel good because there was a lot of other competition there. We were told that we most likely would get bronze because we weren’t as experienced and we didn’t prepare as long as the other people,” senior Brooke Schrieber said. “But, when we heard we got silver, we got really excited and we were all proud.”

Along with Schrieber, seniors Avery White and Mya Ulewicz proved others wrong by achieving silver. Their topic was ‘There is no “I” in Team’ that stressed the importance of learning how to collaborate with others. In addition, the chapter was recognized as a Five-Star Chapter and earned a gold in the Community Service Challenge. 

“I would just encourage anyone who has a heart for service and wants to build leadership skills that FCCLA is an option, not just for child development and future education students, but for anyone that would like to get involved,” Willerick said. “We meet once a month, the first Monday of the month, in my room [634]. So anyone is welcome.”