MME testing affects students’ futures

Study session after study session, juniors and seniors cram for a test that could be the deciding factor in college admission: the MME exams.

“When I take the MME exams I really hope I do well,” sophomore Mady DeJausserand said. “These tests basically decide if I’ll get into my dream college or not.”

The MME is a composition of three tests: the ACT, the Workeys and the Michigan Component test. The first day of testing is the ACT, which evaluates the aptitude of the students based on high school and college standards, is considered the largest part of the MME.

“All the colleges I applied for asked for my ACT scores so even though I am not a personal fan of the test, they are important,” senior Jake Meyers said.

The second day of testing is the Workeys test. Administered by the ACT company, it tests students’ employability potential. The Workeys is divided into three parts: reading for information, applied math and locating information. This is designed to see how students can apply the things they’ve learned to the real world.

The final part of the MME is the Michigan Component test. This test is made up of questions based on standards that Michigan expects from students. It is similar to the ACT, but more focused on material learned in Michigan school districts.

While all three tests are looked at by some colleges, the ACT pulls the most weight in college admissions. The Workeys and Michigan Component are used to see progressions in school academic patterns.

“The best thing to do is to sign up for an ACT prep course,” counselor Dr. Julia Jones-Lau said. “The more preparation you do, the better your score will be.”