The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Drama club announces musical

Recently+announced%2C+the+drama+club+plans+to+perform+the+musical+%E2%80%9CA+Chorus+Line%E2%80%9D+in+the+spring.+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+very+popular+and+has+tons+of+awards%3B+it+also+has+good+characterization%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Dona+Jazrawy+said.+
Recently announced, the drama club plans to perform the musical “A Chorus Line” in the spring. “It’s very popular and has tons of awards; it also has good characterization,” senior Dona Jazrawy said.

“The show must go on” phrase rings true as the drama club announces their upcoming spring musical production, “A Chorus Line,” amidst a pandemic and continued remote learning.
“I want to try and give you what I can and I want to give you a chance to perform in front of people,” theatre director Eric Wells said. “I will do whatever I can.”
The musical is set to for two performances: April 30 and May 1, 2021. Auditions take place around the end of January.
Because of the uncertainty surrounding the school environment in the spring, Wells chose “A Chorus Line,” which doesn’t require a massive stage set-up—simply a stage and possibly a wall of mirrors in the background. The simple setting works well for all performing possibilities: virtual, made completely online; streaming, with a performance in-person and no audience; or in-person, with performers and audience in-person.
“If I measure, I can fit twelve people on stage at one time and we have 36 people in there; there’s three groups of twelve that can come out and sing parts of the number,” Wells said. “I wanted to try to get it to where we can do as much as we can, showing how we can still incorporate everybody that we can do.”
As a director, Wells’s determination to demonstrate the strength and ambition his students possessed motivated him to think of strategies to accommodate his main focus: safety precautions.
“I think the audience will find it interesting and enjoyable to see how we are able to do a show while battling with the global pandemic,” senior company manager and international thespian Lillian Meyers said.
Drama club members share a confident mindset when it comes to showing off their abilities, despite challenges in starting virtually.
“I think the biggest obstacle is going to be learning dance numbers over video chat. It’s very different from learning the dances in the PAC (Performing Arts Center),” Meyers said. “I am optimistic though.”
While the start and end might be different than previous years’ performances, the essence of theatre and camaraderie remains a goal.
“My favorite part of the musical every year has to be the incredible bonding that happens throughout the whole process through auditions and rehearsals and shows,” senior international thespian Dona Jazrawy said. “We really don’t know what it’ll be like.”
Limited communication and interaction possibilities raise concerns amongst performers, since it’s frequently their highlight of the production. The unpredictable future leaves the capability of these enjoyments unknown.
“If I get to perform on stage with the people I love,” Jazrawry said. “I don’t think the size of the audience really matters.”