Caps for coins

Student council members participate in charity Event

Sophomore Amela Halkic puts Toys for Tots bottle drive fliers on mail boxes. “I think it’s a great way to help out kids that are in need,” Halkic said. As a member of Student Council, she tried to get publicity for the council’s upcoming bottle drives for Toys for Tots.

Student Council members come together to fundraise through bottle drives for Toys for Tots during the holiday season.

“That’s one of my favorite events of the year because it is so important. It was an amazing event here when I came three years ago and experienced my first Toys for Tots here; it just blew me away,” principal Jared McEvoy said.

Every year to raise money for Toys for Tots, Student Council hosts bottle drives in members’ subdivisions. Student Council raises money for the Toys for Tots program as a tradition during November to December.

“[The main goal is] just raising a lot of money; that’s kind of our main areas where we fundraise alongside the telethon,” senior Toys for Tots head Stephen Verbanac said.

Toys for Tots happens at the largest scale for holiday season events. The money goes towards the Marine Corps Reserve to buy presents for kids when their parents can’t afford to buy presents. 

“It’s a very important event and the fact that the entire community gets into it makes it much more special and more important,” principal Jared McEvoy said.