LCCE prom is a go

LCCE students chatting before dinner was served

Raising money for the LCCE prom was as difficult as walking through the jungle.

Each year, the Project Unify club assists in hosting LCCE students’ a prom. The biggest difference this year was if the prom would take place. The organization did not receive a donation from their main sponsor for their annual prom and had to come up with the funds other ways. Club members needed to raise $6,500 by the date of prom, April 12th.

“Think about senior prom, senior prom is a magical night for seniors, but if our kids go to senior prom, they will get lost in the crowd. By having a separate prom for them, they get to have a magical night as well,” special education LCCE teacher and Project Unify club sponsor Kristin Oprita said. “They get a night that’s all about them with the help of the general ed students being there.”  

Club members held fundraisers to make the prom possible. They held a can drive at school for multiple weeks, Mod Pizza nights, pretzel sales, McDonald’s nights and a spaghetti dinner. After months of fundraising, the group was able to raise about $4,000, so prom was a go.

“I am most excited to dance with friends,” sophomore Olivia Harris said.

The prom will take place Friday, Apr. 12th at Enchantment by Crank’s Catering and will take place from 6:30 – 9:30, including dinner and dancing. This year’s theme is “welcome to the jungle.” 165 students will enjoy a DJ, a photo booth and other exciting jungle themed surprises.

“We are looking forward to eating a fancy dinner,” prom dates junior Caroline Machesky and senior Nicholas Lardumita said. “We want to slow dance to ‘Perfect’ by Ed Sheeran.”