Students take summer trips

Whether it was attending annual summer events with friends or driving cross country with their family, students found cool things to do this summer.

+In+Universal+Studios%2C+junior+Courtney+VanOphen+stood+with+her+brother+and+parents.+My+family+made+a+lot+of+great+memories+together+and+went+places+Ive+never+gone+before%2C+VanOphen+said.+Overall%2C+it+was+one+of+the+best+summers+of+my+life.%E2%80%9D+Courtney+and+her+family+plan+to+return+to+Florida+next+summer.

Courtesy photo

In Universal Studios, junior Courtney VanOphen stood with her brother and parents. “My family made a lot of great memories together and went places I’ve never gone before,” VanOphen said. “Overall, it was one of the best summers of my life.” Courtney and her family plan to return to Florida next summer.

Lined down Woodward Avenue, the spectators watched as senior Austin drove past in his1986 Chevy Scottsdale that he restored with his dad.

In mid-August, Bex attended the Woodward Dream Cruise with his friends. He viewed a variety of beloved old school classics, to new and edgy modern models.

“I loved going to the car show, because I’m a car enthusiast and I like being surrounded by others who love them as much as I do,” Bex said. “Seeing the older style cars was like traveling back in time.”

While students like Bex attended annual summer events over summer vacation, like concerts and car shows, others drove across the country, or even flew to another one entirely.

Driving from one state to the next, junior Courtney VanOphen took a trip to Georgia and Florida. VanOphen stopped in St. Simon’s Island for her aunt’s wedding and visited Universal Studios, seeing parts of the country she hasn’t seen. She was especially excited because her family bought early admissions passes into the park.

“I was so happy when my parents told me they got us early admission passes because I hate waiting in lines, and this way we’d be some of the first to go on rides and see different attractions,” VanOphen said.

Spending eleven hours on a plane, senior Christina Atenasoka flew to visit friends and family in Macedonia in July. Atenasoka felt right at home speaking her first lanuage, Macedonian, and spending time with family she hadn’t seen in a while.

“Staying  in Macedonia was my favorite part of the summer,” Atenasoka said. “My heart and family is there and I get home sick being away for so long. I can’t wait to go back next summer.”

After students spend two and a half months enjoying the warm weather attending annual summer events with friends and traveling with family, they got to cruise back into school and tell everyone all about their adventures driving across country, or even flying to a different one.