Charity week: slam dunk

From roaring student sections, to mock election winners, to staff and students battling it out on the court, the pep assembly and charity games were a success.

“I was thrilled to hear we beat last year’s total just in the first day of collections,” Charity Games Director Colleen Lanza said. “I’m so happy we can send a total of four children to camp this year.”

The games raised $900 more than last year, bringing the grand total to approximately $3,900 as of fifth hour.

Student Council also hosted a spring pep assembly with games such as the Mr. Ike beach towel race and a flip-flop scavenger hunt. The seniors won all seven games and the Varsity Lacrosse team took first in the banana team challenge.

“I think the pep assembly went really well,” senior class President Francesco Cusumano said. “I’m happy the way it turned out and I’m glad everyone’s hard work paid off.”

In addition to the games, senior mock election winners were announced and they received a certificate for their category.

“Jamie Lotto and I were voted best friends,” senior Taylor Messina said. “We have best friends for so long now and it was awesome having it recognized.”

The day was followed with student versus teacher basketball games second and third hour, where students and teachers each earned a victory for their team. During fourth, fifth and sixth hour, the first-ever volleyball games were played.

“Playing volleyball was so much fun,” senior Emily Wolf said. “I loved being able to play against the teachers, especially for such a good cause.”

The charity day donations went directly to the Cassie Hines Shoes Cancer Foundation, in memory of alumna Cassie Hines.

“This is an awesome way to remember Cassie,” Student Council Advisor Amber Bronson said.

“Doing volleyball this year was a good way to switch things up and dodgeball for next year is in the works.”