The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Coding with creativity

New and improved Hack Club brings computer science projects to the school
Enzo Manzella
Hacking the system. In a club meeting Melanija Iljevski and Kevin Cetina-Huerta are coding with the rest of Hack Club. Meetings happen every Monday in room 339. “We are trying to tell people that you don’t need computer science knowledge and that you can basically use your creativity to make whatever you want. Make something of your own,” senior founder Melanija Iljevski said.

With a passion for computer science, senior founder Melanija Iljevski, brings life to the new Hack Club. 

“I think it’s the problem-solving aspect that I like about [computer science] where you get to use logic and not always have to ask people for help,” Ilijevski said. “You get to use your brains to do it yourself.” 

Members learn to use different programming languages to make websites and are working on getting robots for the club.

“We’re doing 100 days of code challenge where every day you learn something new in the program and then you get to apply that to projects that you do,” Iljevski said.

Creativity is the only requirement to join the Hack Club, no previous coding experience is needed to become a member. They meet in club advisor Richard Straughen’s room 339 on Mondays after school. 

“Not many people are interested in computer science, or a lot of people are intimidated. So, I feel like that’s kind of one of the barriers to getting more members,” Iljevski said.

The club is funded by the organization Hack Club. The organization provides Hack Club with a PCB board as well as covering the cost of the designs made using the program.

“It’s more of a laid-back club. I just want people to start being interested in computer science, especially the seniors who join,” Ilijevski said. “I want them to be able to be exposed to everything that we do before college.”