Semester schedule switches explained

The start of a new semester signals the hustle and bustle of the hallways, the sound of students shuffling their papers and the sights of those frantically searching for a room they didn’t know existed.

“I like the change because you get to meet more people and interact with more kids, but it’s also kind of nice to see the same people and teachers day in and day out,” sophomore Kaitlyn Cody said.

The reason for the change is mainly for management and diversity, according to Counselor Dr. Julia Jones. Most of the changes to a student’s schedule are made by a computer. PowerSchool takes into consideration about 2,100 different schedules to find the least amount of conflicts to make the most organized school environment, Associate Principle Bob Enne said.

“I’d rather keep the classes year round, because I like getting into the groove with a teacher,” senior Sal Antonucci said. “I don’t find it beneficial to switch in the middle of the year and I certainly don’t think it makes me a more diverse student.”

In some instances, changing classes is the only way to ensure students obtain the credit they need to graduate. Health and wellness, physical education and fine art are all examples of semester long classes students need to graduate.

“Changing classes at the end of the first semester benefits the majority of students and it benefits the organization of the school,” Enne said. “If it didn’t we wouldn’t do it that way.”