Toy for Tots: Bigger and better

Bigger is better. This year Student Council (StuCo) plans to donate more money to Toys for Tots with new and improved ideas, fundraisers and opportunities.

“You guys all had Santa Clause, so the idea that you guys get to kind of be Santa Clause for little kids seems to be a pretty attractive idea,” Activities Director Amber Bronson said.

Toys for Tots partnered with the U.S. Marine Corps in 1991 to provide hope for underprivileged children and the school has been apart of the tradition for more than 10 years, according to Bronson. The foundation hosts the fundraiser to supply toys and assist the Marines with the annual collections from local campaigns. Collection days at school will be Nov. 26, Dec. 4 and 6.

“My favorite part is when we have all the toys already brought in and the Marines come and we get to help them out, because you can see the actual results of everything,” senior Student Council President Jessica Zink said.

Along with the collection of toys, one of the main fundraisers StuCo puts together is the Telethon. Students will have the opportunity to donate money and win prizes for their classes on Dec. 3. Returning prizes include Donahue breakfast, class shirts, Yates cider and donuts, hot chocolate and cookies, slurpees, inflatables for the hour, and the Tigers game.

“The Tigers game was fun because we got to perform, it was my first baseball game and it’s all for a good cause,” senior Valentina Milicaj said.

StuCo also brainstormed ideas for new fundraising events. Monday and Tuesday before break, students will be able to purchase Jimmy Johns and 15 percent of each purchase will go towards Toys for Tots. Subs will be delivered on Dec. 2 for A lunch, Dec. 3 for B lunch and Dec. 4 for C lunch.

Sponsors will be able to purchase a spot on the back of the Toys for Tots shirts and they will have the opportunity to choose the hour in which they would like to donate towards. During that hour, the hosts will send a shout out and thank them for their participation.

Students will be able to sponsor, donate gifts and purchase subs, as well as save up and donate their own money.

“I have a job, so I just set aside money to make sure that I can give back,” junior Katie Preisler said, “and even though I’m getting stuff, I’m making sure that others are getting something out of it too.”