Contact tracing over remote learning

There are many negative effects for the return to virtual learning.

Sitting at the table, junior Olivia Donato logs onto school to start her teams meetings for the day. “The kitchen counter is one of the many spots I sit at during online school. I like to move around because it’s easy to get bored after a while,” Donato said. After logging in, she stayed online for school for the rest of the day.

Although contact tracing can be the most effective way to flatten the curve of spreading COVID-19, according to CDC.gov, it’s also causing many students to return to virtual learning and that’s not the solution. 

Contact tracing is the process of identifying, notifying and monitoring anyone who came in close contact with an individual who tested positive for COVID-19, according to CDC.gov. It also involves reaching out to people exposed to COVID-19 and asking them to quarantine for 10 days.

Recently, Eisenhower closed due to over 400 students sent home to quarantine, as a result of 40 positive confirmed cases. As a student, returning to online learning is challenging on students, both emotionally and mentally. “Nearly 3 in 10 parents said their child is experiencing emotional or mental harm because of social distancing and school closures, according to a nationwide Gallup Poll,” phys.org said. Students struggle to focus and learn through a computer screen. It is especially harder for kids who need extra help and already struggle in school.

Depression has also become a problem for many young people, since virtual learning started. The rise in suicide cases was most among the nation’s youths, according to Ph.D. Sandra Chafouleas from psychologytoday.com.

Students need human interaction, whether in class, at lunch or during sports. As a student, it gets extremely boring sitting at home for days at a time while not seeing any classmates. Staying at home is not productive and makes it harder to actually productively do school work, according to elearningindustry.com.

Not only is in-person learning more productive, it’s also a way to get up and get ready for the day. Meanwhile, at home, it’s easy to wake up and open the computer while still laying in bed. Going to school is a healthy way to gain human interaction, exercise and complete work. 

Everyone should do their part and stay safe even outside of school. This will eventually fix the problem of students continuously being called out for contact tracing and having to learn virtually. Staying in school while still contact tracing those impacted is the most efficient way to still learn and stay safe at the same time. 

Online learning is not doing most students any good. It’s not productive and it is sometimes harmful to their mental health. Staying in school while still being safe is the best way for students to continue to not only learn, but also to stay healthy mentally.