DECA club goes to States

Business and marketing students compete in DECA states

The Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) teaches students they’re never too young to start something big by competing at States.

“[DECA] gives them a chance to meet real life adults that are already in the business and the hands-on experience of shaking hands and talking about marketing to other marketing professionals,” DECA advisor Gregory Diggs said. “To get outside the classroom experience, to network, to have something put on their resume, to show leadership skills, etc.”

DECA prepares new entrepreneurs in skills, such as: marketing, finance and management. The club hosts academic conferences and competitions where students compete to show their skills. 

“I’d say for being a first year team, we did pretty good,” junior Anthony Grillo said. “One of my teammates actually got a medal for his test score which was really good.”

With about 23 out of 46 members, Diggs and the members traveled to Downtown Detroit for DECA States to show off their skills in the competition. Diggs helped the students practice by role playing possible scenarios and he then judged them.

“You get a scenario on a piece of paper and it tells you a situation and then you have to solve a problem, so you can jot down notes and make the agenda to give them your ideas or ways to solve the problem,” Diggs said.

As well as role playing with their teacher, the students went on websites to prepare for the event.

“I would definitely prepare more. Now that I have experience it’s easier in general because I know what I’m getting into, but I would probably prepare a little bit more,” Grillo said.

Each team got a different scenario and from that scenario they needed to figure out what they would have to do based on the prior role play and prior studying. 

”We did sports and entertainment team marketing. Basically they give you a role play scenario and then you have to figure out what to do to fix the situation that they gave you,” senior Joseph Roehring said.

The entire group didn’t place as well as they did in previous years, but one student, junior Alexander Warner, made the stage and got a medal. 

”It’s very competitive at that level, so I was glad we didn’t get shut out,” Diggs said. “We did make the stage, but we could have done better.”