Weekly wrap-up

Publications attend MIPA -Monday

Aside from what they learn every day, journalism and publications students attended the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association (MIPA) on Oct. 21 for a learning experience.

“The conference really benefitted me and I thought it was an amazing experience,” junior Yearbook Sports Editor Sarah Kozubiak said.

Every year, MIPA hosts fall and spring conferences and a week long summer camp for middle and high school publication students. The journalism/newspaper and yearbook classes attended the conference to learn more about design, writing, photography, college preparations and receive critiques.

“I learned some valuable info,” junior yearbook staffer Amanda Horton said. “There was a lot of info I learned to put into the yearbook.”

NHS new members join for cider and donuts -Tuesday

Starting a new tradition, National Honor Society (NHS) held a tapping ceremony for accepted students to plan for the year and to meet Advisor Chris Smith and the NHS board.

“I joined NHS because I thought it would be a huge honor being classified as some of Ike’s brightest and best students,” junior Michael Kramer said.

After receiving a pass during their second hour class to attend the tapping, new members also enjoyed Yate’s cider and donuts in the commons while participating in their first meeting.

“I thought the tapping was awesome,” Kramer said. “It was a great way to welcome all of us newcomers to the society.”

Seniors take a step towards graduation -Wednesday and Thursday

One of the big moments for high school seniors is graduation day. Preparing each school day to take their walk across the stage and earn their diploma in June.

Recently, seniors turned in the required $50 deposit for their cap, gown, tassel and the other items they may have ordered.

“It was an exciting moment,” senior Dayna Jones said. “It made me realize how fast life really does go by.”

The last day to turn in deposits and forms is Friday, Nov. 1.

Forster builds it bigger -Thursday

Discovery Channel’s “Build It Bigger” host Danny Forster presented about architecture and building designs to students on Oct. 24 during sixth hour.

From skyscrapers in Dubai to an international airport in India, Forster explained the purpose of each building plan. With reasons of wind, earthquakes and just to “show off,” Forster demonstrated the importance of architecture and creativity of design.

“I thought it was a good presentation to show to students,” senior Andrew Polite said. “I believe it will benefit me since I want to pursue engineering.”

Football tackles cancer -Friday

Hosting their Breast Cancer Awareness game against Cousino, the Varsity Football team fought to tackle cancer. The Eagles won 34-10.

“I think the last game is always so important,” senior wide receiver Vinnie Herman said, “because it can either end the season on a good or bad note.”

Student Council sold “A Crucial Catch” t-shirts at the game to donate profits to the American Cancer Society, which was one of the many fundraisers at the event. During half time, survivors and fighters were welcomed to the field to be honored.

“The game helps for a great cause,” Herman said. “I really enjoy playing to beat out cancer.”