Dietary pills threaten student health

High school is filled with stereotypes, labels and social-classes that constantly pressure students into feeling like they have to look a certain way in order to conform to the group norm; this ignorance can lead a person to take a pill instead of working out the healthy way.

“Taking Pre-Workout every day is worth it to me because I love how it makes me look. I could die from the negative effects caused by the powder, but working out is way more important than living to me,” student Jeff Graff* said.

Pre-Workout (a type of dietary pill) is a sub category within the wide range of dietary pill products. There are many different types and brands of Pre-Workout pills and powders used by students who want to intensify their work outs.

The new, chemically-engineered drug, is intended to fight fatigue and increase a person’s energy levels, allowing them to work out for longer amounts of time; thus getting the best results possible.

“I think they are dangerous. There have been a lot of cases of people dying or being hospitalized, especially in young people,” gym teacher Christopher Smith said. “One of the biggest dangers is that it increases your heart rate too much and if you are working out properly, you are already raising your heart rate anyway.”

Many students use the workout enhancing drug because they hear about how it helps their work out without learning how it may damage the body. Contrary to popular belief, this drug isn’t harmless; some negative effects include: ingesting harmful stimulants, such as caffeine or creatine, dehydration, high blood sugar, dizziness, nausea and tingling sensation of the body. Daily Pre-Workout use can also decrease its effects because the body builds a tolerance for it.

“I have been using Pre-Workout for two years because I like what it does for my work out, but I had to switch to a different brand and up my dosage because it wasn’t working as well as before,” student John Stewart* said.

Excessive Pre-Workout use negatively affects a person’s long-term health as well. The constant use of this energy-enhancer reduces the body’s ability to naturally produce chemicals needed for energy. It can also cause more serious health problems like kidney harm, liver damage and cardio-vascular damages.

“When I work out and don’t use Pre-Workout I feel more tired, not as into it and not as focused. After I take it, I get a little bit of a jitter and I feel like I just drank three cans of Red Bull,” student Henry Hanson* said.

Pre-Workout is not intended for individuals under the age of 18 unless recommended by a physician. However, many doctors do not suggest the use of work out enhancing drugs because the negative effects are worse for students whose bodies are still developing, according to pediatrician Genavieve Crandal.

“I don’t think someone, especially at this age, needs to take it,” Smith said. “Whenever you start messing with your body’s chemistry through harmful things, like pre workout, you’re looking for trouble.”