Naviance replaces Career Cruising

Rebecca Wright

Senior Travis Harrington is searching for scholarship opportunites on Naviance. “I really like the fact that Naviance gives everything Career Cruising did and even offers more for me in my future,” Harrington said. “I search for college scholarship opportunities all the time.”

As Career Cruising makes it’s way to the virtual trash can,  counselors, administrators and students welcome Naviance with open arms.

This new program, Naviance, is a college and career readiness solution for junior high and high school students that helps analyze interests for future goals and improve student outcomes.

“If students utilized Naviance as a career and educational planning tool to its full capacity, they would have a better understanding of how their courses in high school prepare them for college,” career development facilitator Dyann Pugliese said.

Linked to PowerSchool, Naviance is an administrative tool that automatically downloads the student’s course history, grades, standardized test results and current personal profiles.

“Naviance’s ability to track college research, college applications, and letters of recommendation will allow students to be on track for meeting deadlines and to know the status of their applications,” Pugliese said.

Naviance’s investment into the school’s program is indicative of its commitment to support students and their parents in their educational planning.

“I think I will take Naviance more seriously because I can use it for tips when I’m in college after I graduate high school,” junior Mona MacKinnon said. “With Career Cruising, it was more like a once a year thing and never really used it again until the following year.”

Career cruising is based on taking individual surveys of students and giving them ideas for possible careers.  Naviance is based on scholarship opportunities and helping students find involvement in the career they think they want to go into.

“Naviance is based on giving students comprehensive guidance for their futures,” counselor Lindsey Dunn said. “I think it will really help students get their futures together and it gives them a brace as they move into college.”

The new program reminds students when major events will be occurring, such as the Academic Blitz, Career Expo and College Fair, which give students new opportunities for their futures and can add to being successful in high school.

“I like to use my Naviance account to look at scholarships available and see what’s going on in the community that can provide opportunities for me to prepare myself for college,” senior Tanya Zuykov said.

Naviance is focused on helping students from grades 6-12 to persevere and reach their long-term college and career goals.

“Students are able to research post-secondary education choices based on what their career pathway requires, which helps a lot, because I’ve seen students apply to colleges that didn’t have their intended major,” Pugliese said.

Recommendation letters, standardized testing practice and results are all offered by Naviance to help student take control of their futures.

“Regardless of what program is offered to students, it is only as good as the effort that students make to use it,” Pugliese said. “I encourage students to stop by my office if they want to learn more than I am able to present to their class.”