Telethon for tots

Approximately 13 million children in America face poverty; however, Toys for Tots and student council are working so that children in the Metro Detroit area won’t have to face this reality on Christmas morning.

Student council hosted a telethon on Dec. 3 offering prizes to the winning class in hopes of raising money to purchase toys that they will donate to Toys for Tots. The charity takes the toys and gives them to less fortunate children in the area for Christmas.

“It was a lot of fun, we raised a lot of money, and it felt good helping out a deserving charity,” sophomore student council class representative Natalie Thomas said.

Student council advisor Amber Bronson reports that the telethon generated over $6700 which student council will use to purchase toys at Target. The biggest donation of the day came from teacher Julia Holt’s Women’s Chorus class, who raised $843.15 to win Tiger’s tickets.

“We  really wanted to win the Tigers tickets and help out Toys for Tots, so we came together and all brought in money and I am so proud of what we accomplished,” women chorus student Emily Cook said.

Students can still donate by giving money to student council members who are carrying around cans. Toys for Tots will come on Dec.11 to collect the toys.

“I am so proud of what students have accomplished,” Bronson said, “They should celebrate that they have helped to make a magical Christmas for many well-deserving children.”