Tis’ the season for Toys for Tots

Jordan George

Junior Jordan Bommarito helps organize the toys, donated last year, for appropriate age groups at the Toys for Tots facility. “It wasn’t that hard, was fun, and helped the people who don’t have as much get toys. I would definitely participate again this year,” said Bommarito. Students look forward to helping Toys for Tots again in the upcoming events.

Many children go without presents on Christmas morning, but Toys for Tots helps the children experience the joy and love the holiday season brings.

“This program helps underprivileged kids because it gives their families the opportunity to have the “Santa Clause” moment and a good Christmas morning when they have toys,” sophomore Alex Jasukaitis said.

Students and teachers can get involved by donating money, toys or participating in the telethon during first hour.  The telethon is held during school and rewards students,and teachers for donating to the cause.

“We try to take as many actual toy donations as possible, because then the toys go directly to the families in Macomb county,” Student Council adviser Amber Bronson said.

Fundraising starts on Nov. 21 and ends during the week of Dec. 8. Last year, the school raised $6,000 for the Toys for Tots fundraiser. Student organizers strive to raise even more this year, according to Jasukaitis.

“This is something that is just really important for our community because some of us can’t get toys on Christmas and we want to make sure everyone can get toys,” senior Amanda Juzyk said. “It makes kids feel special and helps families who aren’t financially able to get toys.”