Sexting invades suburbia

A+mock+conversation+of+what+a+students+being+involved+in+sexting+looks+like.++In+this+scenario+the+student+was+pushed+to+send+the+photo+to+her+boyfriend%2F+significant+other.++%E2%80%9CI+was+asked+and+I+said+no%2C%E2%80%9D+Taylor+Harris%2A+said.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+proud+of+myself+for+not+and+I+would+encourage+other+pressured+kids+to+do+the+same+thing.%E2%80%9D++According+to+Luke+Gilkerson%2C+30%25+of+teen+sexters+said+they+have+sent+them+to+%E2%80%9Csomeone+I+wanted+to+date+or+hook+up+with.%E2%80%9D+

A mock conversation of what a students being involved in sexting looks like. In this scenario the student was pushed to send the photo to her boyfriend/ significant other. “I was asked and I said no,” Taylor Harris* said. “I’m proud of myself for not and I would encourage other pressured kids to do the same thing.” According to Luke Gilkerson, 30% of teen sexters said they have sent them to “someone I wanted to date or hook up with.”

At the age of 14, Jane Smith* sent her first of many explicit photos to her boyfriend over a text message.

“I’ve known so many friends who sext at my school and others that it doesn’t seem like a big deal.” Jane Smith said.

Recently, Romeo School District and Rochester Community Schools were involved with unrelated sexting cases dealt with by the Michigan State Police.  At least 10 incidents were found in the Romeo School System and 31 students were involved in Rochester Community Schools.

“In my group of friends I know a lot of people who sext, and they know a lot of people that sext too,” Adam Johnson* said.

According to Michigan law, if a student is caught taking or asking for an explicit photo of someone under 18, they can be charged with a 20-year felony; ending an explicit photo of someone under 18 is a seven year felony and possessing explicit photos is a four-year felony.

“I see kids that get mixed up in legal problems all the time which really upsets me,” Macomb County Detention Diversion officer* said. “Most of them don’t realize what they are getting themselves into when they send pictures of themselves, or other students’ pictures that were sent.”

As many teens have found, recipients of a sext can easily post inappropriate photos on a social networking site or send them to others via text.

“Adolescents are more likely to take part in sexting because they think with their limbic system more than older adults,” AP Psychology teacher Lisa Hallam said. “The limbic system has to do with your body’s urges and drives.”

Despite the negative connotations sexting brings, teens still send and receive explicit photos.

“It happens so often that it’s a part of high school and it just happens, no one is really surprised by it anymore and kids don’t realize the consequences,” Amy Williams* said.

Students claim these modern times with new technologies and apps like Snapchat, there is no hope for preventing sexting.

“I don’t think it’s preventable these days especially because kids in high school keep their lives so private, parents and friends may have no idea they are even participating in sexting,” Johnson* said.

Consequences can come quickly though with other new apps coming out that allow parents to see all Snapchat stories and sent Snapchats called “Snapchat Monitor”.

“I think it’s preventable because all you have to do is say know the right way and the person asking will stop bothering you,” Williams* said. “If they keep bothering for you talk to your friends or parents about it and they can take it up to your principal or that kids parents.”

Not only does sexting affect the lives of teens, it also affects social and personal lives.  Many students are bullied for sending explicit messages and called inappropriate names for sexting.

“Originally I got into bad relationships over sexting and my nudes circulated the school,” Smith said. “I had a really low self-esteem, but I got over that phase and now and I’m a lot smarter about it now.”

As recommended by most therapists, family members can help encourage teens out of sexting.

“Talk about pressures to send revealing photos. Let teens know that you understand how they can be pushed or dared into sending something,” Family advisory council therapist Diane Young said. “Tell them that no matter how big the social pressure is, the potential social humiliation can be hundreds of times worse.”

Federal law criminalizes a minor if they participate in sexually explicit conduct.  Parents who allow this behavior can also be prosecuted, according to Michigan legislature.

“I know that sexting will only hurt me more than help me,” Smith* said. “I am going to stay away from it and get back to my true self.”