Construction students gain real-world exposure

Kellen Harris

Using a miter saw in the school workshop, junior Carpentry student William Meerschaert is one of 30 students who will attend a field trip that will give them a first-hand look at the Industrial Design and Construction Industries. “Carpentry is not only a hobby,” Meerschaert said. “It’s like an art because so much can be done with it.”

Carpentry and construction students will receive a hands-on learning experience this Thursday as they tour the Detroit Carpenter’s Facility (DCF) and an active construction site.

“I’ve always enjoyed working with my hands and building things,” junior Carpentry student William Meerschaert said. “Having the opportunity to get out into the real world and get a first hand look of the industrial design industry is awesome.”

While at the DCF, the students will tour the facility and experience a real-life factory at work. They will also be given knowledge about the apprentice programs and training classes offered by DCF, as well as career opportunities.

“I’m looking forward to the touring DCF; I’m looking forward to hopefully learning something new,” Meerschaert said.

After touring the DCF, the students will travel to a live construction site in Sterling Heights. They will be given a tour of the site and will see the different phases of the construction process.

“Having this opportunity is truly one of a kind,” Meerschaert said. “There’s not too many high schools that give you this kind of real-world exposure.”