The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Ready, set, go

Breaking the barriers students with special needs celebrate special Olympics with activities and races
Mia Wrobel
On your mark, get set, go. Ready to race LCCE students including sophomore Vladimir Doroslovac prepare to take on the 200-meter race.

In a race to win LCCE students took on the Special Olympics on Wednesday, May 8 at Macomb Community College. 

“I think it’s important to have this event so that they feel included and welcomed and are able to get exercise and have the day together,” senior Project Unify president Vivian Pozsgay  said. “I think it’s just really a great way for them all to bond together and just have fun”.

Around half of our LCCE students joined students from all different elementary, middle, high school and college level students. Students’ families and volunteers filled the event centers to cheer on the students. 

“The Olympics was a fun day hanging out with family and friends and all going out to eat after,” LCCE student Brad Bozin said. 

Students’ families and Project Unify members are all invited to the Macomb Community College to cheer on the students. The most popular activity is the races which range from 50-meter walks to 400-meter runs. 

“My favorite activity was the 200-meter race because I got a ribbon,” said Bozin. 

The other activities included long jump, horseshoe toss, softball toss and other Olympic sports. Each student was given a ribbon after completing the event. 

“It was so heartwarming to watch the students get awarded their ribbon and wear it proudly on their shirt.” senior Project Unify member Fiona Juncaj said. 

The most important aspect of these events is making the students feel important and proud of themselves. They were able to step out of their comfort zone and try something new with the support of their community.  

“Students are able to get the same opportunities as everyone else [at the Olympics],” Pozsgay said. “Which is just really important and a whole part of the inclusion aspect.”