The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Battle of the streamers

Apple music versus Spotify
Hali Ponce
Music is the universal language. The top streaming competitors this year are Apple music and Spotify. Many people turn to these apps to fulfill their musical needs and get the best possible playlists.

Let the music flow with Spotify

With daily mixes and various genres, Spotify is the app to go when listening to music and podcasts. 

The cost for Spotify premium ranges based on the pack a user buys. For college students, the cost is $5.99, $16.99 for a family pack, $10.99 for individual users and $14.99 for a couple. Spotify does offer the app for free, but only with limited access, meaning without a premium membership the app plays ads between songs. It only offers 6 skips per track, and it renews every hour.

Spotify works on the mobile app and other software devices like Windows 10, unlike Apple Music, which only provides the application through a mobile device. Since 2021 Spotify has been anticipating the release of Spotify-HIFi (an update to Spotify) however, nothing has come out yet.

Starting in 2016, Spotify gives every user a “Spotify Wrap” which allows users to view and share their listening data. Spotify Wrap includes the listener’s top music and podcasts that they listened to the most that year.

Spotify offers over 80 million songs and podcasts. But it also includes audiobooks and podcasts, which offers much more than just music. The streamer creates playlists based on the music that is most played and people can also make their own personalized playlists.

Overall, the app gets 4 music notes out of 5 music notes.

Endless possibilities with apple music

When it comes to apple music’s content libraries there’s just no beating it.

Like Spotify, the cost for apple music varies with different pack options. $5.99 for college students, $10.99 for the individual and $16.99 for the family. Apple music is not free but does offer a lot of limited time days and free trials throughout the year. Apple is $5.99 for college students, $10.99 for the individual and $16.99 for the family. The app offers millions of different artists ranging in popularity.

Apple Music offers the ability to skip through songs without getting any ads. The app is already installed on iPhones, so it doesn’t have to be downloaded on the app store, to listen to Apple Music, the app users have to purchase it a subscription. 

Unlike Spotify that makes playlists for the streamers, in Apple music they all have to be created by the user. Apple also does not offer audiobooks or as many podcasts as its competitor. Downloaded music goes under the songs category and it is in alphabetical order according to the artist. 

The human curated playlist aspect of this app makes it interactive and more enjoyable for users. Downloaded music goes under the songs category and it is in alphabetical order according to the artist. This app is great for people who don’t like robots making playlists for them and want to do it themselves.

Overall, the app gets 5 music notes out of 5 music notes.