The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Not all fun and games

Student council works behind the scenes during homecoming week
Behind+the+scenes.+Student+council+poses+for+a+group+photo+after+preparing+for+the+homecoming+pep+rally.+Summer+preparations+and+bi-weekly+meetings+brought+the+board+game+themed+homecoming+week+together.+
Behind the scenes. Student council poses for a group photo after preparing for the homecoming pep rally. Summer preparations and bi-weekly meetings brought the board game themed homecoming week together.

The energetic pep assembly, the themed spirit days and the Candyland decorated homecoming dance are thanks to the 64 members of the student council (STUCO).

“It’s all hands-on deck, making sure that everything is done on time and that it’s all done correctly,” junior executive-board member Isabella deCardenas said.

The group started brainstorming ideas at the end of last school year and over the summer. In July, they also attended a day-long summer camp where they played games and discussed homecoming. Due to homecoming starting earlier STUCO raced against time.

“There was definitely a lot of stress just because homecoming is so early this year, so we had to get a lot done in the summertime,” senior STUCO president DeLani Bruno said.

Transitioning into fall, their September calendar included bi-weekly meetings and separate councils, planning everything from spirit days to the dance to the decorations. STUCO members collaborated, but worked separately on their own committees. These committees included: pep assembly, spirit day, ticket sales and decorations.

“What people wouldn’t probably know is that we work a lot. We work on a lot of things and there’s a lot of different moving parts. We all come together at the end, but we all kind of work separately,” DeCardenas said.

Student council president senior Delani Bruno oversees all of the moving parts and committees. In addition to her presidency, Bruno resides as the committee head of the pep assembly committee. 

“The pep rally is important to get everyone excited for homecoming week and keep the Ike spirit up,” Bruno said. “And I like seeing all the kids running through the games and everyone participating.”

The spirit days also had kids joining in on the homecoming spirit. The spirit days included: class colors, wear blue, everything but a backpack, western and black-out. On top of that, the drive-in movie and little eagles fair were added to this year’s homecoming activity list. 

“The drive-in was one new thing this year, that gave everybody an opportunity to do something else outside the building together besides just the football game. So we loved that and we loved the fair for the community. I maybe loved the fair a little bit more just because it gave us an opportunity to have like the little kids up and hang out with the big kids,” student council advisor Amber Bronson said.

Bronson believes homecoming is an important opportunity for everyone to come together.

“Our kids come from different backgrounds and different places in life. And so this gives them one party to kind of all have together,” Bronson said. “And I think that that’s a great opportunity.”